Non setting varnish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorkjell

Reaction score
Help please,

I am building a small folding rowing boat using marine ply and Western red cedar. With everything cut, glued sanded etc - time for the finish. Yacht varnish from Screwfix. 1st coat 50/50 with Turps substitute, 2nd coat 75/25 with Turps sub. 5 days later the varnish is still tacky in areas. The marine ply is 95% ok, the cedar is 50% dry. My workshop is not heated but it is not that cold, around 10 deg.

Any ideas what I have done wrong, using turps substitute?, using cheap varnish? is it a heat problem.

Also any ideas how to fix, strip it all off and recoat with decent varnish?

:(

Hi Thorkjell, Welcome to the Forum.

Thorkjell":249gqh0f said:
Help please,

I am building a small folding rowing boat using marine ply and Western red cedar. With everything cut, glued sanded etc - time for the finish. Yacht varnish from Screwfix. 1st coat 50/50 with Turps substitute, 2nd coat 75/25 with Turps sub. 5 days later the varnish is still tacky in areas. The marine ply is 95% ok, the cedar is 50% dry. My workshop is not heated but it is not that cold, around 10 deg.

Any ideas what I have done wrong, using turps substitute?, using cheap varnish? is it a heat problem.

Also any ideas how to fix, strip it all off and recoat with decent varnish?

:(

I had the same problem, not long after moving here. I put it down to using turps substitute as opposed to white spirits. I thought they were basically the same until I read the labels more carefully. Turps substitute says to use for cleaning brushes and cleaning up paints and varnishes. White spirits says its for the above, and for thinning paints and varnishes. I was used to what we call mineral spirits in the States. I thought both were names for mineral spirits. In a sense they are, but for some reason, turps substitute is not recommended for thinning.

Anyway, it did eventually harden, but that was in the summer, and it took about 3-4 days to harden.

Brad

I'd just wait. Yacht varnish is very soft anyway, and it isn't that warm at the moment.

brianhabby":130uj9o5 said:
Is it possible just to give it another coat on top of the sticky coat? would the new top coat then dry?

Just an idea

regards

Brian

The new coat might dry faster than the bottom coat ,causing orange peel.

Hi Thorkjel
I often hear of people using turps substitute for thinning finishing materials and more often than not this lands them in trouble. As a general rule, use Turps subs only for thinning oil based paint. Most other finishing materials will be based on white spirit, cellulose or alcohol (aka ethyl or methyl) so using the relevant thinner is essential.

In your instance it will probably dry within a week once the incompatible ingredients have separated.

Back