Linen Chest/Banket Box in Red Cedar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mal-110

Established Member
Reaction score
Bit of advice on finishing (even though the wood has not arrived yet).
Eventually found a reasonable source of Western Red Cedar. I am waiting for it to be roughly planed and squared off( I know I will have to take the hand plane to it later). It will be a simple box with base and lid. I chose Western Red Cedar as I have used it in small boat building previously and it has some good qualities for the blanket box in that as you know it smells good and wards off clothes moths.
I am considering not finishing the inside but am unsure of what to use on the external faces of the boards. My regular finish is usually a clear satin varnish building up over 6-10 coats.
Lots of confusing ideas out there best advice so far is stick to what you know. Thats OK up to a point but I am not building a boat now.
Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Malcolm

Is the cedar you’re getting dry? All the stuff I bought was still wet inside which was just fine for an outdoors application
Aidan

Yes, lots of wet stuff about, its difficult to find quality Red Cedar locally but managed it. Was able to select it as well.

Crikey Malcolm, 6 to 10 coats of satin varnish is I would suggest a little OTT, is that water based?
I normally thin down the first coat a little and then add two more, I’m not sure what more coats bring to the table, perhaps I’m missing something. Ian

Latest posts

Back