Noise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd always thought - perhaps naively - that the police got involved with noisy parties late at night. Apparently not so. Now the responsibility of the local authority. Does anyone know how long this has been the case? Is it a recent change in legislation/responsibilty?

Pertinent as I type this bleary-eyed having been kept up all night with loud thump thump thump from an undiscovered location. Yes - I did go out for a drive trying to find the b*****ds. Was planning a serious workshop session but now that's gone for a burton as I don't think I'd be that safe around the machines.

Initial research suggests that my local council (Herefordshire) does not operate any services either at night or at the weekend. So basically if it is a one-off you're screwed.

:evil: :evil:

If the noise is coming from an illegal rave then then police have the powers to break it up under some legislation, possibly the criminal justice act that was brought in during the 90's alternatively contact the environmental health department at your local authority who will identify the source and possibly confiscate the equipment and take appropriate legal action.

Hi rogerS

it use to be the police when they had balls , not any more it down to your local council who have legislation to use powers granted by Parliament to enforce the law for them , but if the person decide he want to fight it in court you the complainant will have to appear in court , never know what sort you could come up against or get involve with .

But getting the council to use there power in nigh impossible there to frighten to use them lazy b*****ds . If you decide you want to go that way then first you need to know where the noise is coming from , then get as many other people in your neighbour hood to complain to the police all at the same time ,you might get some reaction from them, list as many complaints as possible on as many dates as possible , start to build a case against these people right from day one it will take time .hc

I'd offer some advise but I'm so tired, I went to a banging party last night in Herefordshire, music was fab, bashed out some thumping tunes all night long :lol:

Doctor":327mrsyd said:
I'd offer some advise but I'm so tired, I went to a banging party last night in Herefordshire, music was fab, bashed out some thumping tunes all night long :lol:

I know where you live :D :wink:

Ongoing repeated noise nuisance seems much easier to deal with. SOP - collect notes, times etc, other names etc. Not frightened about confrontation or who is involved. Locating the noise, especially in the countryside, is more difficult.

It's the single occurrence that's the problem and especially at the weekend. Seems cutbacks etc means no local council support in my area available at night or at weekends which is when you need it most.

So it's down to the individual, I guess. Try the polite approach first - that's assuming you can locate the source. If that fails then you have to make a value judgement and each to their own, I guess. If it's a modern house then a quick open up of the outside electricity meter box, a snip of the seal and out with the fuse then slip away quietly.

so, would that be called a reccy or a wrecking then?
Either way sounds good to me.
Regards.
Trev

Hi rogerS

No no , :twisted: :twisted: pair of rubber wellies rubber, gloves and a 2 Ibs lump hammer and a balaclava , one swipe smash the electric box when ever thing is in darkness and they come out to take a look see ,nip in and do the stereo as well , double sure that way , think they will get the message. :lol: :lol: :lol: hc

head clansman":22alg6vw said:
Hi rogerS

No no , :twisted: :twisted: pair of rubber wellies rubber, gloves and a 2 Ibs lump hammer and a balaclava , one swipe smash the electric box when ever thing is in darkness and they come out to take a look see ,nip in and do the stereo as well , double sure that way , think they will get the message. :lol: :lol: :lol: hc

I like your thinking :D :D

RogerS":1jw23039 said:
matt":1jw23039 said:
Was this a one-off or is someone having noisy parties regularly?

A one-off but who knows. Regular noisy parties are much easier it seems to me to resolve.

Does it matter which one?

Would you want to stop people having the occasional party? Perhaps that's why regular noisy parties are easier to resolve, the former is not especially unreasonable or a real nuisance for society in general.

I understand on this occasion it has meddled with your plans and that is annoying but hey it was only some people having some fun - kinda nice to know people still know how to have fun these days.

There was an illegal rave in the woods near us last year. Kept me up all night. Had a walk down there in the morning (it was still going on). The police were there waiting just down the road. Spoke to one bobby who said that they will just let it all fizzle out (which it did at 10 am!!!) then arrest them all as they drive home with alcohol or worse in their systems.

I asked why they couldn't just go and switch off the generators that they were using to power the equipment and he said.......

......we aren't allowed to touch any electrical equipment. Health and safety!!!!!!!

I picked up my chin and went on my way.

matt":24owltmt said:
RogerS":24owltmt said:
matt":24owltmt said:
Was this a one-off or is someone having noisy parties regularly?

A one-off but who knows. Regular noisy parties are much easier it seems to me to resolve.

Does it matter which one?

Would you want to stop people having the occasional party? Perhaps that's why regular noisy parties are easier to resolve, the former is not especially unreasonable or a real nuisance for society in general.

I understand on this occasion it has meddled with your plans and that is annoying but hey it was only some people having some fun - kinda nice to know people still know how to have fun these days.

Now how did I know that you were going to say that?

I don't think I'm being unreasonable. For starters, all the legislation puts 11pm or on occasion 12am as the cut-off time for noise. Don't have a problem with that. Maybe even 1am...but 5am...all bloody night? I think that that is unreasonable.

If you do think that it is acceptable then please feel free to pm me with your address and I'll come round early one morning with a few mates, few cans of Homebrew and we'll play Rap or Wagner or even Barry Manilow - just for you. :wink: But we'll make sure that we turn down the treble so you can't even hear what the actual music is,,,just THUMP THUMP THUMP...and we'll turn it up and down just so that when you're dropping off, we'll start all over again. We're just having fun, you understand.

Hi Matt

Nobody minds people having fun and as you say it's nice to have an occasional barbecue / party , but 11 PM is the dead line , nobody would mind if it went on longer at a reasonable sound level gradually fazing out till about 1 ish and then end , but it's even better to consider your neighbours as well people come from all walks of life and all like to do there own thing without be interfered with by noisy SOB who just don't give a f**K about any one else, It wouldn't be half bad if you could here the music and not only hear the base seeing it's turned on full blast and thats all you here just a bloody god all full noise. inconsiderate b******s. hc

I guess I'm just a product of living in an area where all night parties and the like are an extremely rare event (in fact, I can't remember such an event). The whole area is very much a family place where there's more noise from a brass band for the May Queen event than you're likely to hear any other time of year. So, if someone did have a party, I'd probably muster up a picture of someone celebrating granddad reaching 100, rather than a rave and so my associated feelings would be somewhat different.

I'm not saying I'd not be a little pineappled if someone did keep me awake all night while they had a good time, and I probably would mutter to myself about how they'd ruined my day, but I'd probably just let it ride.

By contrast... If this were a regular event, then I, like you, would be looking to the authorities to take the matter in hand.

I've had this problem a few times. First was in my old council flat about 10yrs ago. I complained to the council, the told me to keep a diary and send it to EH. They didn't even bother phoning up their own tennants. Police actually refused to come out. It went on for about 6months and then, luckily, I moved out.

A few yrs ago at the last house some kids had setup camp and where having a party in a farm field over the back of my house. Again, Police did nothing, even tho they were trespassing. In the end the owners of the farm went over there mob handed and 'had a word'. They never returned.

It's worse than a bad dream when that distant boom boom boom boom boom boom boom is keeping you awake. I'm all for music but not when I'm trying to sleep. Knowing there's absolutely nothing you can do about it is even more infuriating.

Back