F1 Grand Prix in central London... really???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Peter. I'm not sure I agree, but your points are well made!

The forecast for Silverstone looks nasty for the next couple of days, overcast and possibly wet. One thing occurs to me related to that: We know that certain drivers are well experienced in such conditions, but since a lot (but not all) off-season testing tends to happen in warmer places than Northamptonshire (such as Spain), some of the lower-order drivers may not be as 'well-seasoned'.

Silverstone has run-off areas and space, yet remains technically challenging. I don't imagine the same being true of a central London. My "ideal" F1 race, as a spectator, includes a lot of overtaking and a fight to the finish, but definitely not a lot of crashes/safety car deployments, etc. So there are questions as to whether the sport really needs yet another circuit that doesn't make passing very easy, and racing has to be stopped while small accidents are dealt with. This year's Baku race springs to mind as an example, as does Singapore (although they do seem to clear the track there efficiently).

In favour of London, there's no doubt it would be easier/cheaper for me to get there than Silverstone, even though I'd rather go to the latter.

Maybe through the A12 from the redbridge roundabout to stratford, off into the park for some twisties and out again.

Mmmmmmm Monte Carlo, Singapore, Wansted..... :lol:

I have a sneaky suspicion that, after the weekend's race, even Liberty Media probably realise they would be bonkers not to sort out the contract so it can stay at Silverstone.

That was probably one of the best, if not THE best races of the season so far. Even if you hate Hamilton, there was so much going on throughout.

Wanstead is also a very persuasive argument... :roll:

he was going to win, no matter what (sadly), but the rest of the action was great. Max is a force to be reckoned with.... when he gets a reliable car..

woodenstuart":2ucc6qk2 said:
he was going to win, no matter what (sadly), but the rest of the action was great. Max is a force to be reckoned with.... when he gets a reliable car..

I quite agree. It wasn't Lewis winning as such, but all the other things happening. Completely agree about Verstappen - amazing, instinctive driver.

Eric The Viking":suu5se67 said:
I have a sneaky suspicion that, after the weekend's race, even Liberty Media probably realise they would be bonkers not to sort out the contract so it can stay at Silverstone. ... snip

Unfortunately I don't think the 'quality' of the race has anything to do with it (it could just have easily been one of those boring run of the mill processions).

It's all about money, money, money. Liberty aren't a charity and their prime concern will be a return for their investment and their shareholders.

The people who run Silverstone know it's on the edge financially which is why the break clause has been activated. I suspect Liberty will simply find somewhere/one else to pay the huge hosting fees (Silverstone £16.2 million this year). They've played the only ace they have and I doubt it will make a dent in F1 in the longer term.

It does make me laugh that the tracks have to pay Liberty to get the race. Any other series would have to pay the circuit

Out here in Canada I've missed the last couple of races but the idea of a London street race is ludicrous, never going to happen, now if they want to hold it in Newcastle, I'm all for it!

Street races are hopeless anyway, few overtaking oportunities and false qualifying results due to yellow or red flags 'cos some numpty put it in the wall.

I've walked Monaco, just after the race and wouldn't like to drive it at speed

RogerS":3vmdaknr said:
Lons":3vmdaknr said:
...., now if they want to hold it in Newcastle, I'm all for it!

Nah! Wouldn't work. All those bus lanes swapping about.
Yeah but the council would make even more money in fines, Hamilton & co can afford it.

They are needing to make the Grand Prix a bit more interesting before I waste any time watching it. How about all the drivers lining up in a bar and racing to down 4 pints of stella each and the sprinting to their car. Watching them trying to race each other as the alcohol takes affect would be quite good. Every team should also be issued with 20 half bricks which they would be allowed to lob at their rivals as well. That would create a bit more interest for me and viewing figures would go up surely. I am quite sure other forum members could chip in with some additional entertainment ideas!
Mike

tbh, just have steel wishbones and refelling.

The wishbones will permit proper wheel to hweel clattering without either car dying immediately, and refuelling to get max powers from the engine/fun tactics back.
oh and bring back ground effect so the cars can drive up the gearbox of each other without falling off the road

Back