F1 Grand Prix in central London... really???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
It's going to be one of my life's unrealised ambitions, most probably, to do an F1 pit lane walk with my son.

Since our support for the sport is similar to fantasy football (although much better, obviously), we do debate which track we would visit, and, since the "atmosphere" of the various pit lanes globally differs from the quality of the tracks themselves, there's the issue of whether we could agree on watching a GP at the same circuit that we'd visit for its pit-lane "experience." We'll never actually do it, but it's huge fun to argue about it.

And it also differs from the driver experience (not that either of us, etc.). For sheer grin-factor behind the wheel that would be Spa, for me, possibly followed by Silverstone, Bahrain, Monza or Monaco, and (oddly) Montreal.

The latter is possibly because I'd want to be able to brag ever after that I'd survived the Wall of Champions, but I digress: the point is that Monaco is the only street circuit that makes the cut, and that's largely because it's iconic. It's probably horrid to drive. It's certainly dangerous and very difficult to win on, unless you have pole. Generally speaking street circuits aren't nice for drivers and usually don't make for exciting racing, because of their limitations.

Now to change tack, to grumpy old bloke mode: last night there was a teenager's party three doors down (opposite) on our road. It's unusual, and to be disturbed at 1AM, by a line of drunk oiks having a urination contest in the garden opposite us, was not a bonding moment with the neighbours. Coming-of-age clearly doesn't mean behaving with decency and common sense. I have a vague feeling that when said age was 21, perhaps it did.

That in turn reminded me that the area of parkland at the end of our road has now been targeted by our lefty council for egalitarian mass worship sessions - I mean pop concerts. It's probably the really decent green space that's closest to the city, but it has almost no parking and is surrounded by residential areas, and parts of it have SSSI status because of the rare species growing on it. It already has a football league, hosts part of Bristol's annual Balloon Fiesta, and a number of other annual events (although two of the most enjoyable, the flower show and Guy Fawkes niight fireworks no longer happen because the council has made them too expensive for the organisers to stage).

It's not really suitable for tens (hundreds?) of thousands of people to try to get home from at 1AM, never mind the noise pollution, environmental damage, etc. But apparently enjoying the greenery and peace and quiet (in the daytime!) is not making sufficiently good use of it, as far as our council is concerned. And the wildlife can just butter-off elsewhere.

The point to the above really being that you suddenly realise how much your peace and quiet, and lifestyle arising from that, depends on your neighbours and society around you. When that changes, you suddenly feel quite vulnerable.

Now the Mayor of London is taking advantage of Silverstone's woes (in turn due in no small part to the greed of one British person), to push again for a "national" street race in London to replace the British grand prix. OK, it probably has the best transport infrastructure in the nation, so it can handle the crowds. It probably wouldn't be a night race, as there's no commercial advantage in that, but it couldn't be a set of one-day road closures - probably a week or two, simply because of the complexity of getting the infrastructure in place and removing it afterwards.

It's true the TV pictures would be grand - Lewis Hamilton and Jolyon Palmer together crushingly overtaking Vettel in front of Buck House (I can dream!) - but the disruption would be immense. And, whatever the drivers said about how great it would be to race there, it would be a difficult and probably dangerous circuit, and not actually a very good racing one. London taxpayers would almost certainly have to subsidise it. And Silverstone would be silent.

On balance, it seems to me this is cheap politics, rather than a really good idea.

I tend to form strong opinions, I know. I also know there are a few other F1 enthusiasts on here, some of whom have probably done pit lane walks for real, too.

So I'll shut up. What do you lot think?

E.

Added to the above, how would they keep everyone who hasn't paid a few hundred pounds for a ticket out ? Crazy idea.

Last year I went to an industry conference at the Silverstone wing. Great fun to drive over hangar bridge and park where all the motor homes would be on race day. The small door tantalisingly marked "pit lane access" was locked when I got there - apparently it wasn't earlier and one of the guys did sneak through, but was shown the way back out quite promptly. We did still have access to the balcony overlooking the pit lane and grid though.

The only vehicle on the track all day was a tractor carrying turf to repair the grass !

EtV..you have my sympathies re the mooted pop concert. I know that area very well and you are spot-on with your observations. But hey...when you have a numpty council that imposes a 20mph city-wide speed limit...what do you expect.

The idea of a London F1 GP is sheer lunacy.

The pit lane during a F1 race in the old days was quite a thrilling place to be - back when they had fuel stops and tyre changes. But since the fuel stops were banned you see a lot less from inside the garage and you only see the track action on monitors really from the garage or pit lane.

I hope you get to achieve your ambition with your son.

I'd love to see Hamilton put it in the wall at Barbican/Moorgate :lol: (far from a fan as you might tell)

A street race would be fun, but might take the charm away from F1 GB.
I'd love to goto the Canadian GP, if only it wasnt in the stinky french bit :lol:

My dream track(s) to drive would be Laguna Seca and Bathurst as they are just beautiful bits of design work

I agree about Laguna Seca. It is a beautiful track.

We drove past it last month actually (well on Hwy. 101, so past the signs). PCH (Hwy1) was closed to the immediate south, otherwise we'd have been a lot closer and I might have been allowed a brief detour, but I would've been outnumbered 3:1 in the circumstances, and anyway we were pushed for time, so didn't mention it.

I have driven round much of the Long Beach circuit, although it will probably never host F1 again and it's a rather boring track too. When we were there in 2015 it was two days before the indycar w/e and they were just about to do the road closures: they'd got most of the trackside barriers up already and the pedestrian bridges and banner adverts, so it _felt_ like driving the real thing... apart from the large traffic jam at the lights!

I was in Baku last year just before the GP (missed it by a week).

road closers where minimal but pavements where blocked off in a lot of places by safety equipment (large chunks of concrete).
I stay just at the entrance to pit lane, the space it took up simply isn't available in london, I'm not convinced they didn't knock down a few buildings in Baku for it.

we walked the course, it was a struggle to see where passing would be possible not to mention safely stop in the event of a incident.

yes it would be doable in Nodnol, but it wouldn't be one I'd want to go to.

They did have some races around Birmingham some time ago.

Pete

Hard to see it happening.There are too many unemployed vegetarians with a hate for motor vehicles and they have all the time in the world to object and frustrate plans.

worn thumbs":kxrizoq7 said:
Hard to see it happening.There are too many unemployed vegetarians with a hate for motor vehicles and they have all the time in the world to object and frustrate plans.

I must admit if I lived anywhere near I would do my very best to make sure it didn't happen ... I may of course be biased - I'd sooner watch boards warp than watch this so called "sport". :D

Wouldn't it be hyper hypocritical to run a F1 race in the place that has a low emission zone? Not that that would bother the politicos at all.

I would have thought there wouldn't be enough run off areas to have a 'safe' race?

It was fun to walk most of the Singapore circuit. You can even access the purpose built bits of the track. I was surprised quite how narrow the corner onto the main straight was. I do tend to think F1 drivers are overpaid ponces but they do have largish cojones (not as big as Moto GP though!).

BBC sport's live blog of the practice sessions has been featuring readers' fantasy British GP circuits. Someone has already come up with a bonkers 7-mile circuit for Bristol, including Ashton Court and Brunel's Clifton suspension bridge and the docks. The change of height would be several hundred feet.

Would be impressive, although it would probably gridlock the city and the M4 & M5 simultaneously for about a week...

... Hmm. Perhaps we ought to take that one a but further ;-)

E.

PS: The best bit is that it uses some of the ridiculous, £XXbn, white-elephant Metro bus scheme route.

Eric The Viking":2hxaq8mq said:
Would be impressive, although it would probably gridlock the city and the M4 & M5 simultaneously for about a week...

how would you be able to tell?

novocaine":1rlr6uep said:
Eric The Viking":1rlr6uep said:

how would you be able to tell?

Atleast there would be racing going on to entertain :)

As an F1 fan and somebody who lives and works in London, I'm all for a London F1 street circuit. To be fair it's something that's been proposed for decades - a 'motoring magazine' (remember them??) actually drove a single-seater around their 'fantasy' circuit back in the late 60s - and it resurfaces periodically.

I seem to remember McLaren having their F1 cars blatting up & down Park Lane when they won the constructors championship a few years ago (quite a few years ago, lol...) an event that attracted tens of thousands of fans before the Met. Police bottled it and called it to an early close on safety grounds. Worth noting that despite the tens of thousands of attendees there were no arrests, no reports of any of the usual anti-social behaviour (public urination, drunkenness, vomiting, violence & general social disorder etc...) that is wont to accompany large public gatherings. In other words, a rarity; a well-behaved crowd most interested in what they came to see, and respectful of others.

Rules were changed to allow racing on public roads back in April (I think??) so to call this a political manoeuvre by the mayor capitalising on Silverstone's inability to balance their books is a little unfair. But sure, if there's no British Grands Prix at Sliverstone, why not see if a London GP would fit the bill? Despite its history, Silverstone has always been a bit of a 'mare to visit by car, and many times worse by public transport.

But whilst I'd personally love to see a few London Landmarks as the backdrop to this, I'd be astonished if the bulk of the racing didn't take place around docklands/out east somewhere, on the much more recent infrastructure over that way. I'd very much expect the "London backdrop" would be Tower Bridge / Canary Wharf rather than Buck House & The Mall.

I'm no fan of the pocket-sized current mayor - he seems to have done nothing but take credit for things that were set in motion long before he arrived on the scene, including this F1 proposal - but I look forward to him surprising me, just this once.

Cheers, Peter.

Back