No excuse

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinimod

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all, I'm after a bit of advice.

As I should finally be sorting out bench drill this weekend I can't now escape the fact that I've got to get on with something useful in the shed.

Has anybody got the Axcaliber adjustable TCT cutter from Axminster power tools, and if so what is their opinion of it?
I ask because I've a few clock inserts that I've bought over the past months to fit into off cuts of timber but at the moment use the router to carefully cut the hole to fit.

Buying individual Forstner bits for each size I've got is going to mount up cost wise so wondered if an adjustable bit would be a better option :shock:

..................dom

how many sizes do you have dom?

I think that i would probably go with an mdf template for each size, and use a bearing guided cutter or a guide bush on it.

I did wonder about templates but as the inserts range from 25mm to 52mm and being placed in timber that is only about 75mm square I reckon that securing a template on a piece that small would be a bit dangerous. It was bad enough balancing that router on the timber and also trying to see the line of where to cut to.

I thought drilling them in a press would be the safest and easiest option hence the Forstner bits.........dom

This may do: https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand-to ... stBid=tztx Forstner bits in the following size's:10 mm12 mm15 mm16 mm18 mm20 mm22 mm25 mm28 mm30 mm35 mm40 mm45 mm50 mm and all for £29.00 can't go wrong.

It would probably be better to drill the hole first and then cut the timber to size, that way you should have a more substantial piece to hold onto.

Mike

If you need to use a template to rout a hole in a small piece.
Clamp the wood in a workmate, other clamps are available, flush with the top surface.
Position the, large, template such that it is the correct location for the required hole.
Fix the template to the workmate and away you go.
If you have more than one hole to rout just change the timber in the clamp.

HTH, xy.

MikeJhn":432h28k7 said:
This may do: https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand-to ... stBid=tztx Forstner bits in the following size's:10 mm12 mm15 mm16 mm18 mm20 mm22 mm25 mm28 mm30 mm35 mm40 mm45 mm50 mm and all for £29.00 can't go wrong.

Mike

Cheers for the link Mike. Only one of them fits the size insert a have so may down the template route. Ta.........dom

xy mosian":10cfd57v said:
If you need to use a template to rout a hole in a small piece.
Clamp the wood in a workmate, other clamps are available, flush with the top surface.
Position the, large, template such that it is the correct location for the required hole.
Fix the template to the workmate and away you go.
If you have more than one hole to rout just change the timber in the clamp.

HTH, xy.

Ta for idea, I've even got a workmate in the shed (homer) (hammer) :oops:
I think a might spend a few moments working out the template diameters for the router cutters I have, or cheat and see if I can find some ready made ones..........dom

phil.p":1krc3126 said:
^^^ If you use forstners you still have to find a way to hold the workpiece accurately, so just devise a much larger jig and use router cutters.

Hi Phil.
Holding the workpiece is no worries as as dads old pillar drill has vices that attach to the drill table, plus it's much quieter than a router :D :D ............dom

You may get a nasty surprise trying to use really wide Forstner bits in a pillar drill. Some thoughts:

1. The thing that really matters (assuming it's a good quality Forstner in the first place), is the speed of the rim. Obviously for a big Forstner, you need a SLOW speed on the drill. That means bigger pulleys, and more torque at the business end (because of the gearing). If it has a Morse taper for mounting the chuck in the quill, that could be problematic.

2. Any run-out on the drill will be worse at the rim of the Forstner bit, causing vibration. See (1) for the problems that causes.

3. A Forstner is basically a one-tooth circular saw blade. It will blunt fast, and as it blunts it will overheat, which will ruin the steel, making the problem doubly bad.

4. A (good quality) hole saw will not blunt as fast, but depth is usually limited. It will not be as badly affected by run-out, as there are no horizontally-cutting teeth (if you see what I mean). Holesaws are a LOT cheaper than Forstners for the same quality. Holesaws still need a slow speed, because of the rim velocity. Cutting vertically with a holesaw, it is unwise to use higher speeds, because you'd need a higher feed speed to cut nicely, but you can't clear the sawdust easily (every one I've seen has no provision for sawdust clearance, only continuous teeth).

So I'd try a holesaw, especially as the hole will be hidden by the clock face. Cheaper, easier, but not without its own problems. Use a vacuum to clean the cut regularly and don't try to do the whole thickness in one go (unless it's thin, obviously). In a pillar drill you shouldn't need the pilot drill incidentally.

Plan (b) would be a router and a circle template.

Plan (c) would be an expansive bit in a long-throw hand brace. They need practice, but you have some control, and you might make life easier by perforating the hole area on a pillar drill first, especially the quadrants which go from along to across the grain (leave some in the middle for the leading screw of the bit!) - you don't have to use power tools!

Plan (d) would be the Forstner bit in a pillar drill. I have a set and a number of singles, I know how to sharpen them well (not easy in itself!), and it would be my last resort!

E.

PS: You can get extra depth with the holesaw by stopping to split out the waste when you reach its maximum depth. For that I probably would use a pilot hole (doesn't need to be central, only close), and drive in a 1/4" chisel through the side of the hole, across the grain, to help it split. You need to arrange the grain running towards the pillar of the drill (or close to that), as you can't take it off the table between "bites" (to keep concentricity).

The whole exercise becomes much easy if the piece of timber you are trying to put the large hole into in is bigger, is it possible to drill the hole and then cut the timber to size?

Mike

Back