No.8 Refurb / Rebuild

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mezzanine Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been on the look out for an old No.8 for some time now with no luck but this week picked up an old body from a junk shop.
So the plan is to find the missing bits and end up with a complete unit maybe even a little customized (Blade etc)
First job is to sort handles, now I was going to just buy the set from crown but i have convinced myself to have a go at making myself.

So at last I get around to the question I have a large lump of "Goncalo Alves" left over from a project would this be a suitable replacement for rosewood? Looks wise I think it would be great but just worried that the wide grain pattern may make it a little weak in the thinner areas of the handle.

Your collective thoughts and experience would be a help.

Hi, Rob

Does it have the frog with it?

Spares will be hard to find as parts aren’t shared with other planes

Pete

Hi Rob

Found this :-

Goncalo alves is a hardwood (from the Brazilian Portuguese name, gonçalo-alves). It is sometimes referred to as zebrawood or tigerwood — names that underscore the wood’s often dramatic, contrasting color scheme, that some compare to rosewood.

While the sapwood is very light in color, the heartwood is a sombre brown, with dark streaks that give it a unique look. The wood’s color deepens with exposure and age and even the plainer-looking wood has a natural luster.

Rosewood it tried and tested over the years so its up to you if you have it , why not try it :lol: :wink:

Mezzanine Rob":tijd50ca said:
So at last I get around to the question I have a large lump of "Goncalo Alves" left over from a project would this be a suitable replacement for rosewood? Looks wise I think it would be great but just worried that the wide grain pattern may make it a little weak in the thinner areas of the handle.

On strength, a wide range of woods have been used for Bailey plane handles, including beech, cherry, walnut (UK and US), fruit woods (e.g. apple, pear) and most of the Dalbergiae.

If they all work, I don't see why your timber should be any different.

BugBear

Racers":3d65s51w said:
Hi, Rob

Does it have the frog with it?

Spares will be hard to find as parts aren’t shared with other planes

Pete

I know blades and capirons are available, so that's not a problem.

Is is just the frog and lever cap (and casting!) that are unique to the #8?

BugBear

Just the casing I am afraid, following a little research diccovering that the frog is indeed different I feared I had made a mistake. However I have located a replacement frog at Bristol Design (an absolute treasure trove for old planes and spares). The cap iron is going to be more of a challenge I may even have to make my own solution.

The casing only cost £5.00 so at the moment I am in the nothing ventured nothing gained stage, hence the wish to use a wood I have in stock.

Hi,

The blade is 2 5/8" so the casting frog and blade lever cap are not the same as 4 1/2 5 1/2 6 or 7.

If you have found a frog then I think you are home and dry, a 2 1/4 cap iron will work fine.

Its a cracking size plane not like those girly No7s :wink:

I have made handles from all sorts of woods, the hole drilling is the toughest thing to do, drill the counterbore first then the through hole. Get or make a long brad point bit fot the through hole.

Pete

I think Philly has used this timber extensively and ought to be able to give you chapter and verse - Rob

Racers":2pevsn6r said:
Get or make a long brad point bit fot the through hole.

Pete
Hi Pete
Going to cut a square blank first, counter bore and then drill right through with a long auger bit. Then cut the base to the required angle, looks like 17 or 18 degrees. Only then draw design and start to cut out and shape.

Is there a specific reason you suggest a brad point bit or will my auger bit work OK?

Rob

Hi, Rob

They stay on line much better. I used to have to drill from each way and staighten the intersection up by crude methods.

Pete

If you're a weirdo like me and like Clifton irons or cap irons, you'll need to get in quick. Clifton stopped making the 2 5/8" size a year or two ago. Earlier this year I had to import a cap-iron from Germany as no-one in the UK had any stock left.

Lie-Nielsen make both iron & cap-iron in that size, and you could always try Ray Ilse and Lee Valley for irons.

You didn't say what make your No.8 body is.

Cheers, Vann.

Back