No 2 off the lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TobyDavidson

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is the second item off.

it is a shallow dish made form oak, about 6 inches wide and 1.5 inches high.

I started it on a screw chuck, finished the base then realised I had made it too small to fit in the jays of the chuck. after a liberal amount of swearing, I did have fun making a jam chuck for it (A first for me), which worked surprisingly well. It came out of the jam once, but given the foot is only about 4 mm deep, I was really pleased.

finished with woodwax 22.

I particularly live the grain pattern showing through

I cant decide if I should have put some detail amount the lip, although I do like the simplicity.

I do now see why people say the photos don't do items justice, it looks much nicer in the flesh.

Comments welcome and appreciated.

Hi Toby,

That looks to be a good job. Nice simple lines, good clean finish. I like a small foot but it may not be to everyone's taste.

Well done!!!

Richard

I find doing smaller things like this and getting them in proportion is harder than doing larger things but you have succeeded well. Finish looks good as well. If it's only your 2nd thing then I look forward to seeing what's to come, shoud be worth watching out for.

pete

Yep... just what Pete / Richard said ! :wink:

Its quite a small piece, and if you'd embellished it, it would have been too 'busy' to my mind. I think you've got it right there Toby... keep them coming ! For a second piece, thats wicked ! :wink: :D

Very nice - always think that wax is the best finish on oak;seems to really bring out the warmth of the wood :D

Andrew

As Oldsoke would say "ït's a good un", I go along with Jenx on the no embellishment comment, fine as is in my book.
The low luster look of soft wax seems to suit Oak, I also like the final look of shellac based sealer and wax on open pored Oak, don't know if it's the ability of the shellac base to partially fill the pores or what, but I just like the look of the finished article.

Back