Newish pieces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip Streeting

Established Member
Reaction score
Haven't posted here for a while. Now completed my routing jigs and here a couple of examples of patterns etc. achieved from a couple of experimental sessions. Patterns on flat surfaced tops of hollow forms. 4" -5" dia. Hope to work on larger forms soon, getting to grips with hollowing as well as routing.

Phil

DSCF2445-1.jpg

hollow1a.jpg

Plain and then coloured with stains and waxes

spiral1.jpg

streeting3.jpg

Wow, really very beautiful. Looks like machinal carving, and it's very interesting to see if possible how you did it.
Never to old to learn a new trick.
Really stunning work.
Ad

Love 'em - last one best for some reason!

Thanks for sharing

Dave

Even when I don't personally like your designs they are always thought provoking. In this case they are all very attractive pieces. The second one is perhaps my favourite one though all are really beautiful.

Pete

Exceptionally clean, sharp, machining lines. The pattern combinations work well.

I prefer no.2 followed by no.3 without colour; no1 is a bit too busy for me.

Full marks for developing the method that results in such precise control of patterning and no doubt you have got a market niche for individually produced one off's.

Unfortunately, mentally I can't help putting them in the category of 'molded ceramics' as being capable of production on a CNC machine.

I like them all. Having worked with a router a bit, I'm really impressed with your skills. Even with a jig, there's no sign of breakout that I can see. Great :wink:

Love them Phil. First and last are my favourites. I know you didn't want to show your method as you was writing it up for an article. Is that happening, still? As everyone else, I'm eager to see how it's done.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

These are not where I want to be in producing turned work, just a developmental stage.

Having set up the router process I have to learn to use my systems. Just experimenting here with flat surfaces while I learn the basics of hollow turning and the way the routers and cutters work. These have been cut using very basic templates. Results are not planned or calculated in any way - just start and see what comes out.

None of the things I present here or elsewhere end up on sale so there is no 'market' or marketing involved just personal challenges and enjoyment.

Although at present the patterns may look mechanical, CNC is not involved. The gear is more 'Heath Robinson' than sophisticated mechanical engineering in appearance and methodology!

Phil

Philip Streeting":jeuxxyhr said:
......The gear is more 'Heath Robinson' than sophisticated mechanical engineering in appearance and methodology!

Phil

But still developed well enough to provide sufficient rigidity to hold a router consistently and firmly on track, not easy to achieve

Thanks for all the comments.

Here are a couple of pics of the underneath of this last piece showing some experiments with stains and waxes. I can't tell you the exact processes involved here because I was improvising in a see what happens approach. Stain + wax + stain + burning + turps + stain +wax and so on.

spiralfin6.jpg

spiralfin3.jpg

This will be a vase form. Will post more as it progresses. Probably won't be revealing all the processes involved.

newvase1.jpg

Using heavy duty steady while hollowing the top section to a depth of 10".

newvase3.jpg

Looking forward to this one Phil. What tools have you used to hollow out the inside?

The colouring on that underside is really good however you did it. Hope you kept a decent record of the process so you can do it again if you want. Keep these pieces coming as they are always thought provoking and inspiring

pete

I am totally amazed by the bowls and also by the fact you seem quite blasé about the results. This can only mean that you are not totally happy with them and feel you can do better!!! Wow! I think you are very very skilled. You have inspired me to be a hell of a lot more creative in the way i think about what can be done with turning. I look forward to seeing more of your results. Thanks

Welcome to the forum Weasel Howlett, look forward to seeing some of your work.

Back