Newel post repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TigersFan

Established Member
Reaction score
The newel posts on my stairs have been cut through previously, presumably to move something large up/down them. Both the top and bottom newel posts are wobbly. Has anyone got any recommendations on how to secure them?

The newel posts on my stairs have been cut through previously, presumably to move something large up/down them. Both the top and bottom newel posts are wobbly. Has anyone got any recommendations on how to secure them?
A photo would be useful, but my initial reaction would be some lengths of 1/2" studding
down and up into the two parts, fixed with araldite.

Colin

How much of the original posts remain?
My father scarf jointed a newel post which is still holding up almost 50 years later.
it may also be possible to use a round mortice/tenon joint, possibly with a loose tenon. It will need to be a substantial diameter and buried quite deep in both parts though and drilling the mortises central/straight and without hitting nails will need some consideration.

Thanks for the replies.
The first image(1088) has been cut through where the round section meets the square.
The second image(1089) has been cut through on the square section, where the groove is.

Attachments

• IMG_1088.jpeg
    IMG_1088.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1089.jpeg
    IMG_1089.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for the replies.
The first image(1088) has been cut through where the round section meets the square.
The second image(1089) has been cut through on the square section, where the groove is.
Difficult from the outside without pulling apart and rebuilding. If you did do that you could perhaps rejoin the posts by drilling to insert a bit of steel pipe, or a hardwood post say 2" diameter and 2ft long. Maybe easier to get a woodturner to make a copy.

Thanks for the replies.
I will go with what the others are saying about a sturdy dowel repair. If it goes deep onto each section epoxy will hold it. I would suspect there is already either steel or wood pins in there from the first repair so take the top parts off first. If those pins then come out clean you should have guide holes that can be enlarged for a more robust pin to go in. If it gets to the stage that the lower sections of the posts have to be removed then it may be better to get new posts.
Regards
John

Ive just been browsing an online site that sells staircase components/Newell posts and repair kits, might be worth reviewing
https://www.pearstairs.co.uk/changing-a-newel-post
Or a new post is not expensive and for my money I would replace it entirely after of course seeing how the existing one is fitted and making sure the job is within my skill set. If not then a repair either as previously suggested or a commercial kit

Thank you for the input. It sounds like my best bet is to try and dismantle the loose part, drill out and insert a hefty dowel.
I think I might need to make some kin of jig to slip over the square section to keep the drill vertical.

Back