Newcomer saying hello

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerBoyle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
Just saying hello after lurking on here for a while now
Look forward to Pestering you all in the future LOL (hammer)

Roger

RogerBoyle":2ug4xdp6 said:
Hi guys

Roger

Welcome aboard Roger!

Tell us a bit more about yourself and whatever questions you've got I'm sure these nice people in here will help you.

cheers
Steve

Orcamesh":2s86japh said:
RogerBoyle":2s86japh said:
Hi guys

Roger

Welcome aboard Roger!

Tell us a bit more about yourself and whatever questions you've got I'm sure these nice people in here will help you.

cheers
Steve

Well it all depends on who you talk to lol
The wife thinks I'm nuts
The kids think I'm a Pain and embarrising
The grand-kids call me Granddad Grumps (this one I like)

I've been involved with wood in one way or another from the early 70's when my Grandfather started teaching me about wood
Love making anything out of wood
The only area's I've never really played in though are the lathe and Staining/Finishing

That said I have been using the Lathe for turning of Spindles for stair gates and staircases
with the occasional request for barley twist (tapered and straight) table legs
But I never used a Chuck and on the grounds that I've just ordered one from Rutlands
I thought it was about time that i joined the forum

Roger

Hello and Welcome Roger,

I only joined recently, and have found it to be font of knowledge, with amateurs and experts in many different fields, willing to help and share their expertise and ideas.

I like the Barley Twist and used to use it alot, but unfortunatly my local turner, is with us no more, so I may be pestering you at some point in the future.

Welcome Roger

Whatever your problem someone on here will give you a solution or point you in the right direction, I should know I've had s*@t loads of help, one member even bought some machine screws I needed and posted them FOC!!!

Stew :-D

Welcome aboard Roger!

My kids call my mother "Granny Grumps" so you are in good company!

As for your experience of wood...I simply love the bit about not having played with the lathe followed by only to do barley twists (straight and tapered! 8) ) :mrgreen:

That is the coolest comment I have seen here for a long while!

There are a lot of people here who will try to stop you approaching "the slopes" but just remember to practice on the nursery slopes first and then hit the "Black Run" as soon as you feel like a bit of excitement. They come in a number of flavours...mine's infill planes...which can be one of the steeper runs!

If you have some pictures of your work or kit...then please feel free to post here...we lurve pics! :wink:

Have fun!

Jimi

jimi43":m7lxy8lb said:
As for your experience of wood...I simply love the bit about not having played with the lathe followed by only to do barley twists (straight and tapered! 8) ) :mrgreen:

That is the coolest comment I have seen here for a long while!

If you have some pictures of your work or kit...then please feel free to post here...we lurve pics! :wink:

Have fun!

Jimi

Well what more encougement do I need Barley Twists and Pic's
I love them too

Desk1.jpg

I reckon that anyone who can do barley twists by hand has got to be able to do a square thread in brass by hand on a metal lathe... 8) :wink:

Warning: this post contains a leading question which could be hazardous to your health!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

jimi43":34o4o36n said:
I reckon that anyone who can do barley twists by hand has got to be able to do a square thread in brass by hand on a metal lathe... 8) :wink:

Warning: this post contains a leading question which could be hazardous to your health!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim
I was given a metal lathe in 1998 by an old guy that lived a few doors away as he was going into a nursing home
I seriously thought it was broken as it had a bit that travelled along the bed when the motor was spinning LOL
And no I'm not kidding
Gave it away myself not knowing any better It was a hardly used Myford super7 that he had bought from new with all the bells and whistles that you would ever need :oops: :oops:
So since then i knew me and metal work were not meant to be LOL

Here's a few pic's of me at work and the finished product

Nice friendly bunch of folks on here (hammer) (hammer)

Roger

Attachments

• image_010.jpg
    image_010.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 67
  • image_007.jpg
    image_007.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 67
The barley twist came about because I needed to make a unit similar to the one shown above
but I didn't know anybody that could help me and I wasn't on the internet then.
I had just enough money to buy a lathe and had enough left over to buy 3 lumps of pine or i could pay the bills in 4 days time and that was it until i got paid from the job.

This was the last bit of the job to complete

(Obviously I was flavour of the month with my Wife something
about spare rooms and divorce if memory serves )

I used one to practise on, one to do the twist and the third was a just in case piece LOL

Glad I bought that just in case piece though cause i cocked up the first two big time and only just made a reasonable attempt at it two days later I got payed so all was good with the world again
( Well until i needed a biscuit jointer that is )

Since then I have done a few more usually at least 2 a year but i tend to use the router on them now and just the final sand and finish of them gets done by hand

But i've never turned a bowl, Plate ,Egg cup or anything like that yet and looking at some of the pics that i've seen on here its looks like its a lot harder than it looks but i look forward to the challenge

Roger

RogerBoyle":13k0tt1i said:
Hi guys

Roger

Go away. Don't pester me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bet you didn't expect that did you? :-"

Welcome and if you have any turning problems it's no use coming to me, because I can just about use a scraper!

Enjoy the forum.
You don't have to be sane to be a member but it helps if you aren't.

Regards
John :D

Howdy from the colonies Roger. Welcome to our band of lovable loonies. Be sure to visit the hand tool section as well pal, the home of the true obsessive compulsives. The banter there is well worth the time.

Welcome Roger and some nice pieces you have made there. I have done a couple of barley twists in the past by hand. Years ago I went to a demonstration of lathe work and one of the guys showed us how to make a barley twist by hand. After returning home I tried it myself as I was so impressed with his demonstration. Of course mine came out nowhere near as good but after about four attempts I had cracked it. Almost everything I made after that contained a barley twist. LOL I bought the Trend router lathe to make them after that and hardly ever got asked to make any. I still haven't made any more for years now but still have the lathe just in case. I am sure you will enjoy your time on the forum here with us.

Latest posts

Back