Newbiest of newbie questions: what's an MFT for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
Lots of videos on how to make them; but how do you use them?
Other than sticking in a couple of bench dogs to plane against.
Any videos on their versatility?

Deadeye":rs0yzwf2 said:
Lots of videos on how to make them; but how do you use them?
Other than sticking in a couple of bench dogs to plane against.
Any videos on their versatility?

Have a look at some of the videos by Peter Millard (a member here too) - for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V-p5F7SjO4 for a demonstration.

If you've built it properly then you can get guaranteed 90 and 45 degree angles. Useful, for example, when cutting sheet goods. Also, since you have a series of holes, you can put clamps through them and clamp almost anywhere on your work.

Jacob":rs0yzwf2 said:
What is an MFT?

Shirley, you jest? Multi Function Table...

ScaredyCat":2yde0s0t said:
Jacob":2yde0s0t said:
What is an MFT?

Shirley, you jest? Multi Function Table...

Cheers ta.
Some sort of gadget accessory designed to extract cash from an unwary newbie?

OK I can see that if you work in a very small workshop, make a lot of complicated stuff from sheet and have a lot of festool kit, then it could be handy.

Jacob":2wzuv8fl said:
OK I can see that if you work in a very small workshop, make a lot of complicated stuff from sheet and have a lot of festool kit, then it could be handy.

I agree with the first part, very handy for small workspaces - I'm currently building Timothy Wilmot's MFTC because it folds into a compact space which is something of a premium for me, albeit with drawers not systainer storage - but no festool stuff is required to benefit from an MFT.

I have the Festool original one, it is very useful to me and it saves my back as it is a reasonable height, it is truly multi function.
Quick to set up, a reasonable work area, side clamping, top clamping, strong, fairly stable, ideal for repeated square cutting on stuff like flooring, good for gluing up stuff using the dogs, many other things.
I get the CNC machined birch plywood replacement tops now as they are nicer and cheaper than the official ones (also lighter weight).
It looks expensive at first glance but its the sort of thing that works out quite cheap on a price per year basis and becomes worth its money over time.

Ollie

Latest posts

Back