Newbie's first powertools?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe he meant use a small one to put you off buying one - you'll realise how limiting they are.
With the cost of skips I think most people are delighted to have them emptied for them. Many have locking tops - to stop people filling them up, not emptying them.

phil.p":n221kf1i said:
I believe he meant use a small one to put you off buying one - you'll realise how limiting they are.
Aye... hence the no-winning.
Here was me thinking I'd get a few tools and have a bash at a couple of projects, see if I liked woodworking... It's not like working on engines or leather, eh!!

phil.p":n221kf1i said:
With the cost of skips I think most people are delighted to have them emptied for them.
Most people don't live in Reading... Heck, the council will collect certain stuff for free, yet people would rather nobody profited off their refuse. To quote Michael Nickles: "This is one weird place..."

Hi again
So you are looking for a bandsaw ..
There's a 2 year old hammer N4440 in Ealing, London for £500 on gumtree.
That's a really good machine, no one will argue bout that, spares available and loads of threads on it.
You would have to get a VFD which would cost another £100

I seen another similar machine in Bristol in eBay that you could get for the same price, or less.
It has a dual voltage motor also which means that it can run on your 13a plug.
It just costs 100 quid to get a VFD.

As long as the motor (not the machine) says 220V or 240V, that means it can run on single phase.
Its very easy to hook up a VFD and we can walk you through it, if you can wire a plug you can do it.

If you decide not and still are searching for machines, be it a bandsaw or tablesaw...
Search for bandsaw and band saw, same goes for table saw tablesaw.

If you are worried about the skips you could get a t-shirt made that says something along the lines
of timber recycling scheme ..."waste wood for wood waste" (hammer)
People are generally afraid of claimers when it's to do with anything potentially dangerous...
Mainly builders hence why I will be getting a t-shirt made so I can do it after hours 8)
Some folks are just on a powertrip when it comes to asking for this kinda thing, last time
one dude hollered at me, and ran over saying designated for landfill and accounted for...
You should have asked me at the gate, even though you cant see whats in the skip from there :?
I always like to be around the vicinity the day after I pilfer their skips if they tell me to f off like that...
Just to give them the thumbs up

Most builders have a giggle though and know I'm just waiting till closing time
The cops have a right giggle too, probably have a compilation video in their video room :D
They know I'm there for the wood only.
I remember when the recession was announced, I was inside a skip dismantling a very expensive wrecked
piano when I got surrounded ...
I know there's a recession, but theirs no need to be jumping in skips :lol:
I replied, I was dismantling this piano and they told me they were afraid of someone setting it alight
OK so ...I think I was there till it was bright.

So if your asking for timber don't mention hardwood, just say that auld door and come across as very careful and tidy.
Good luck
Tom

Hey,

Fellow Reading dweller here!

Have you looked into the Reading Hackspace, they a reasonable number of decent woodworking tools that should get you started. Its £20/month for 24/7 access. At the very least this should get you some experience will the tools so that you know what to look for when/if you buy your own!

Back