Newbie wet grinder advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil bowles

Reaction score
I have just bought the axminster perform grinder...http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/4/product-Perform-CCWSG-Whetstone-Grinder-21739.htm

Looking at the pic, the wet wheel goes clockwise (ie AWAY from those notches at the high end of the trough) This seems to me to mean that to sharpen a gouge for example on the edge of the stone (manual says NEVER use the face...why?) you have to come in BEHIND the thing and over the top of the white wheel! Then there os no room for a Jig of tool rest to get the right angle.

Have a bought a white elephant...or is there some sneaky trick I need to know? ( or probablu some more expensive thing I ALSO need to buy!)

Help or I will have to keep using my £12.95 B&Q grinder and dipping the red hot tool in a mug of water!

Hi Phil
I have one of them that I got from wickes and I think it is kack as you have noticed that there is no easy way of getting the same angle when you are using it :( .
I use just the white wheel on mine,that is it

in principal, depending on how you use it, the tormek also goes clock wise.

although in that case, the blade is supported about the centre line,
but on top, so you are kind of sharpening the blade from the
handle to the front. i would think therefore that that is how you
are supposed to use this one, lay the blade in the notches, and push forward to the wheel, however unlike with the tormek i would think the
upward pressure would tend to kick the blade away from the stone.

have to say i like my tormek. but then i am biased. :lol:

paul :wink:

I have the Wickes equivalent. A pretty poor piece of kit, actually. I hope the Axminster one is better.

I mounted an adjustable rest on a wooden pillar to address exactly the problem you have. If I can work out how to post a picture, I'll do so tonight.

Tony S

I had one of those, well actually 2 in quick succession. The first one was smashed in the box during delivery and the second just wasnt fit for purpose. There was severe wobble on the wheels, which axminster attributed to it being a hobbyist machine. Not fit for purpose as far as I was concerned so it went back.
Mike

Hi Alf
Thanks for the heads up on that one and thanks to DaveL for the idea, I think i will have to give it a go but I think I might try making my own rest :)

Here's mine with the rest setup for the wet wheel. I have the Veritas grinder rest, which cost nearly as much as the Wickes grinder. Fixed with captive bolts and wing nuts.

You may notice the plinth allowing the rest to go the other side of the wheel - grinding towards the edge. That was what I made first, and it's useless. The water goes everywhere.

P1010004-Grinder-500.jpg

Tony S

Back