Grinder advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msparker

Established Member
Reaction score
Context:
- Don't own a grinder and need a way to re grind primary bevels. Getting a bit pressing as lots of my plane irons have massive secondary bevels now and a recent multiplane purchase has left me with lots of off-square randomly angled irons needing work which is painful even on my roughest stones
- Work pretty much exclusively with hand tools in our flat's spare bedroom (carpeted attic room)
- Have planes with modern thick and hard irons, chisels, multiplane irons. Do not have any turning kit and don't think I will any time soon
- Sharpen with a diamond stone and whetstones (have 250 through to 8000 grits)

Given my working setup I'm particularly concerned about fire risk and don't want something super noisy. I'm also painfully aware I've never used a grinder and don't want inexperienced hands to destroy all of my steel with overheating

Looking for some advise on the best option for a) £200ish or b) best option at a stretch

Things I've seen and thought could be good ways to go:
- Used grinder + new Axminster or similar CBN wheel + aftermarket tool rest
- Rip off tormek e.g. record power equivalent

I don't think budget can stretch to a tormek (and all the rests and stuff you need) or a sorby pro edge, but happy to be convinced if that's genuinely the best way to go

Thanks in advance

Get your local saw doctor to put a new primary bevel on.

That used to be my plan, but I've got this record 405 multiplane now with 23 blades most of which need some love, and then various planes, so whilst it's not a bad option, I think in the long term I want the autonomy a grinder would bring

If you are looking for a grinder, probably the best I’ve come across are Creusen. They run true with virtually no vibration. Secondhand they sell for your budget for a 240V version.
If your grinding HSS blades, you don’t need to worry about temper being drawn out.

I would go for a Tormek type wet grinder.

No risk of overheating your blades, and no metal and abrasive particles flying everywhere as you would get with a dry drinder.

Yes, they're slow if you're removing a lot of metal but you only have to do it once on a blade with a bad grind. I have some music or radio on if I'm doing a big grind.

I've never used a Tormek clone, only a Tormek at college and work.

The college had a Viceroy Sharpedge grinder/sharpener as well.

Would have loved a Creusen but couldn't afford it and went with the Record RSBG6 6". Initially used it with the white wheel it came with and a wire wheel and it vibrated really badly. The white wheel was hard to balance. (Record say not to use a wire wheel). Power switch had to be replaced after a year. Tool rests were junk and swapped for the Veritas one. Record build quality overall was diappointing compared even to my Sealey polisher.

Eventually i swapped to a pink wheel and CBN wheel from The Toolpost. Great service from them. That transformed the machine. The CBN wheel balanced perfectly and the machine now runs with no vibrations. Grinds nicely and keeps the blade cool. I am happy with the grinder but only after getting the CBN and better tool rest. I'm only doing chisels and planes occassionally, as and when i renovate an old one.

Sorby pro edge does look interesting though.

IMG_3550 copy.jpg

@scubadoo that looks like exactly the sort of thing I was thinking!

I thought the Veritas tool rests would only take a 25mm wide wheel, did you modify yours?

Does it feel to you like there is much fire risk with the CBN wheels? Just thinking of the carpeted room I'm working from!

@scubadoo that looks like exactly the sort of thing I was thinking!

I thought the Veritas tool rests would only take a 25mm wide wheel, did you modify yours?

Does it feel to you like there is much fire risk with the CBN wheels? Just thinking of the carpeted room I'm working from!

Yep, I cut the slot wider for the wheel and filed it smooth. Easy to do!

I can't imagine there is any fire risk. The CBN wheel keeps things cool. I guess a slower grinder would be cooler still. And you could always have a CBN on both sides. I just don't use the coarse wheel that often.

Back