newbie watch your fingers!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moe2003

Reaction score
Hi

As you will see by the subject heading I'm new to the wood working world. I'll introduce myself first I'm Moe and no I don't own a pub lol (for all the simpsons fans). I would also like to said that the craftsmanship that has been showcased on here is out standing and I could only aspire to be half as good.
I was wondering if there is anyone on this site that was good at identifying wood types? I have had a look online but, am still not to sure i have posted some pics because I'm sure without them no one could identify it lol, with my findings i think its sycamore however that's me taking a stab in the dark

Thanks to everyone for all and any help
DSC_0008.jpg
DSC_0007.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 234
been trying to resize with gimp and stay within the 256kb range with no success as yet but, I will get there in the end :) and thanks for the welcome

moe2003":2t119eh2 said:
been trying to resize with gimp and stay within the 256kb range with no success as yet but, I will get there in the end :) and thanks for the welcome
If you use photobucket or similar, you don't have to resize to 256kb :)

I will post a pic of a mallet that I have made from the wood that I have coated with linseed oil as the grain amplified in my opinion

is it almost white/a greyish white, which would suggest sycamore to me (or possibly one of the native field maples), there may be a bit of fleck in it, on certain sides.

or is it a pale creamy yellow, with a light brown grain, which would be ash, in my experience.

How long did you live in the house with this tree in the garden ? If it is sycamore I think you would have seen the 'helecopters'

Sorry I should of mentioned that the tree was in my girlfriends brothers back garden and the tree had already been cut down. Now the mere mention of helicopters to the missus its not a sycamore as she has said there was no helicopter (laughing I write oh the little things that entertain children) so with that it leaves possible either as or maple.

Latest posts

Back