Newbie wanting to start a workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodbloke":1lh1f9tt said:
The one tool that nobody has mentioned (I think) is a marking knife (and a Stanley knife is not a marking knife) which is just about essential for all marking out purposes. They can be bought (Ashley Isles do a nice one) or better made from old pieces of planer blade, bandsaw, jigsaw blade or HSS hack saw blades - Rob
Opinel - perfect marking knife (and penknife).

cheers
Jacob

senior":3gjio8t3 said:
whats a marking out knife, I have a knife and fork at work, any good
Is that for knife and forking work out, then????

Scrit

DomValente":1pnl2xub said:
Carpenter's axe ? :?
Dom, you must be going into timber framing if that's what you use for marking out :shock:

Scrit

DomValente":1h6dqmum said:

Dom

For defence possibly, say for example, if the boys were to turn up because your on someones manor :shock:

Scrit":1qvjj4fx said:
DomValente":1qvjj4fx said:
Dom, you must be going into timber framing if that's what you use for marking out :shock:

Scrit

No, I was Querying why Jacob suggested it.

Senior wrote:

For defence possibly, say for example, if the boys were to turn up because your on someones manor

How crude, it is my belief that a Paslode, should the occasion arise, would be fairly effective. :twisted:

Dom

DomValente":2a9ze8w4 said:
Scrit":2a9ze8w4 said:
DomValente":2a9ze8w4 said:

Scrit

No, I was Querying why Jacob suggested it.

Senior wrote:

For defence possibly, say for example, if the boys were to turn up because your on someones manor

How crude, it is my belief that a Paslode, should the occasion arise, would be fairly effective. :twisted:

Dom
Sorry I thought it was your marking out hint.
It's what we were issued with in our first kit and it is extremely useful for all sorts of things. Most often for taking cuts off the back of something to make it fit an uneven wall for instance, or scribing boards such as sash window linings.
Yes I know they've invented the power jigsaw but it's still useful to have a little chopper, not least when there is no electricity on a site. Then there's various times when you want to split something along the grain e.g. dowels, packing pieces, wedges, wall plugs etc.
Handy in the workshop too.

cheers
Jacob

Paul Chapman":21fx5b4n said:
Mr_Grimsdale":21fx5b4n said:
it's still useful to have a little chopper

Trust Jacob to take the opposing view :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul
I've got several in different sizes :shock:

cheers
Jacob