Newbie questions thread.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All
Thought I'd make a thread for myself and others that are new to the world of scrolling, Somewhere we can ask the stupidest of questions :mrgreen:

So my first is:
Why does the wood or metal want to lift so much while cutting? is it to fast feed rate? squint blade? Just rubbish wood?
My blade seems straight and in the right way up, maybe i'm trying to feed to fast although it doesn't seem to fast.

Thanks

From my limited experience,

1) Check the blade is inserted the right way, I know this sounds stupid, but it is so easily done, I did it last night and nearly ruined my 1st piece of fretwork.

2) The blade is worn, or teeth broken

3) Your pushing to hard

4) Not enough tension, ping the blade and you should get a nice note, twist the tension know at the back as you do it and "Play them a song Dela"

5) Other forums replies :)

There are a few things that could cause the wood to jump. Tosey has given a good reply but I would add this. When making a turn, especially a tight one the wood will tend to jump, the reason for this is because the blade is trying to keep up with you and is stuggling in the limited space of the kerf (cut) the width of the blade (front to back) is a lot wider than the edge. You need good tension when cutting and I tend to cut as fast as the saw will allow. When everything is perfect you need very little pressure from your hands to hold the wood down and that is why most of us tend to throw the hold down when we get a new machine. Another cause of wood jumping is when the bottom sidethat is on the table is not perfectly flat. Yet another cause, and pay attention to this, when drilling entry holes for internal cuts always sand the bottom off afterwards and the bits of wood that break off when the drill comes through can also cause the wood to jump. Hope this helps.

Chippygeoff":3efv5v8n said:
There are a few things that could cause the wood to jump. Tosey has given a good reply but I would add this. When making a turn, especially a tight one the wood will tend to jump, the reason for this is because the blade is trying to keep up with you and is stuggling in the limited space of the kerf (cut) the width of the blade (front to back) is a lot wider than the edge. You need good tension when cutting and I tend to cut as fast as the saw will allow. When everything is perfect you need very little pressure from your hands to hold the wood down and that is why most of us tend to throw the hold down when we get a new machine. Another cause of wood jumping is when the bottom sidethat is on the table is not perfectly flat. Yet another cause, and pay attention to this, when drilling entry holes for internal cuts always sand the bottom off afterwards and the bits of wood that break off when the drill comes through can also cause the wood to jump. Hope this helps.
+1 and don't be afraid to speed the machine up
and try to relax

Some really good comments there +1 chaps.

James, do you mean that you gat a rapid 'slapping' sounds as you cut? If so you could also check that the blade matches the thickness of the wood?

Before I got the Hegner I had a Delta scrollsaw and that thing was forever slapping wood. It used to frighten the life out of me. As has been suggested, one cause can also be when you made tight turns as the blade binds with the wood. Increasing the speed (if you have a variable speed saw) should help in this before you smell burning :twisted:

There are several web sites around that can help with blade choice including http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com/articles/scroll-saw-blade-selection

I'm not sure if you mentioned the make of your saw but does it have a 'hold-down' clamp? I couldn't get on with the one the Delta had but if your saw has one do you use it?

Barry

I own a cheap machine and suffered the problem from the beginning and after doing all the above it was still almost impossible to cut any shape without the wood lifting with the blade.
What I found was that the blade clamps were not in line so that when looking from the front the blade was not running in a vertical plain.
After carrying out some adjustments to rectify that I now no longer need to use the hold down foot.
I think that owners of cheaper saws like mine have to take into account that the machine has left the factory without any care given to final setup and this is left for the owner to do.

Thanks everyone for taking your time to give very good detailed answers!
Sorry should have said, It's a brand new Hegner Multicut SE variable speed.
Barry yes it's a fast slapping.
I will go over all of the above and report back :)

Thanks

I and I should think that everybody was aware that you have a brand new top of the range Hegner but your op said that this was a new thread started for the benefit of yourself and other new scrollers.
Not all will be starting with a quality machine and my advice was to help others who are starting at the lower end.

powertools":1okdp7mw said:
I and I should think that everybody was aware that you have a brand new top of the range Hegner but your op said that this was a new thread started for the benefit of yourself and other new scrollers.
Not all will be starting with a quality machine and my advice was to help others who are starting at the lower end.
yep :)

Are you sure you are holding the wood down on the table firmly enough? the noise you describe sounds just like the wood flapping up and down with the blade, this happens on all saws even a treadle machine if you don't put sufficient pressure on the work to keep it tight to the table, this happens to all people new to fretworking.

scrimper":2r7xtfbd said:
Are you sure you are holding the wood down on the table firmly enough? the noise you describe sounds just like the wood flapping up and down with the blade, this happens on all saws even a treadle machine if you don't put sufficient pressure on the work to keep it tight to the table, this happens to all people new to fretworking.
certainly could be the case mate, will give it a good try tomorrow :)

powertools":30cyljii said:

In my experience the fast slapping that Jmac describes is due to the work moving up and down with the blade due to the work not being held to the table with enough pressure as I suggested above. IMHO this happens with all saws whether it is a £900 Hegner or a Sub £100 cheaper saw, it even happens on Treadle machines.

Lol, Reading your comments I reckon you are just a little anti Hegner and pro the cheaper saws. :lol:

(No offence intended :D )

Jmac80":3f0obxk7 said:
scrimper":3f0obxk7 said:
certainly could be the case mate, will give it a good try tomorrow :)

I can tell you that every time I let a friend try any one of my saws what you describe is exactly what happens until I tell them to keep the wood pressed down!

scrimper":xnntn6ok said:
powertools":xnntn6ok said:

In my experience the fast slapping that Jmac describes is due to the work moving up and down with the blade due to the work not being held to the table with enough pressure as I suggested above. IMHO this happens with all saws whether it is a £900 Hegner or a Sub £100 cheaper saw, it even happens on Treadle machines.

Lol, Reading your comments I reckon you are just a little anti Hegner and pro the cheaper saws. :lol:

Well I'm sorry you think that. Any advice I have ever tried to give is from my own experience with the saw I have got and I don't recall ever saying anything anti Hegner.
That's me gone from this section of the forum along with most other users of non Hegner saws.

powertools":3anzpsvl said:
scrimper":3anzpsvl said:
powertools":3anzpsvl said:

Well I'm sorry you think that. Any advice I have ever tried to give is from my own experience with the saw I have got and I don't recall ever saying anything anti Hegner.
That's me gone from this section of the forum along with most other users of non Hegner saws.

Oh don't so touchy, you are throwing your toys out of the pram just because I suggested you were a little anti Hegner and you are also suggesting that other non Hegner users leave too? Was what I said so upsetting that you think everyone else without a Hegner will leave! If what I said was so dreadful I would apologise but I have read my comment again and I honestly think you are making a mole out of a mountain!

powertools said:
powertools said:
Struth, touchy . . . . I don't think you should be speaking for other people in this way. If you want to leave the thread that's fine but other people new to scrolling will find it useful. It's not a Hegner thread either, its about people new to scrolling whatever saw they have.

The OP just happens to have a very nice shiny Hegner.

I have said this before. those that own a Hegner are not being snobbish. I feel it is every scrollers dream to own a Hegner and for most of us it means saving the pennies for quite a while. I own a Hegner because I wanted the best there was. I could not be without a scroll saw for a single day as I am making orders most days and also attend craft fairs and I know one of the cheapies would not last very long in my workshop. Sadly there are people who are jealous of those with a Hegner.

If I can go OT for a moment Geoff, for those of us who have never tried to sell stuff at a craft show, would you be willing to start a thread and give us some hints and tips on what sells, what to avoid, quantities to made etc, etc. I'm sure a lot of us would find it very useful as long as we promise to keep away from your region :shock:

Barry

Hi Barry. I have to sell the things I make so I can make some more. I would love to do something on craft fairs. I have been doing them for a few years now. It would be quite a lenghtly article so to speak but comprehensive. I don't know if it would come out as a thread on the forum or if it would go into something like the "How to" at the top. Would I have to contact one of the moderators. Open to any suggestions and would be only to happy to write something.

Chippygeoff":27phbvjn said:
Hi Barry. I have to sell the things I make so I can make some more. I would love to do something on craft fairs. I have been doing them for a few years now. It would be quite a lenghtly article so to speak but comprehensive. I don't know if it would come out as a thread on the forum or if it would go into something like the "How to" at the top. Would I have to contact one of the moderators. Open to any suggestions and would be only to happy to write something.

It would make for a very interesting read, would love to read it when done :)

Latest posts

Back