newbie help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob1969

Reaction score
hi all i have been trying this lathe out learning thr tools i made a cup shape object but when i tryed to dig out the center it spat it out the chuck what went wrong

Welcome Rob. We need a lot more information that this. What lathe and chuck are you using? What tool was you using to 'dig out' the inside and what sort of wood was it?

rob1969":3m56xu98 said:
hi all i have been trying this lathe out learning thr tools i made a cup shape object but when i tryed to dig out the center it spat it out the chuck what went wrong

Probably the way you are presenting to tool Rob.

The way i do this is to start off by making a centre dimple on the end grain of the cup/goblet, have the spindle gouge in that, and have the flute pointing down at say 7 oclock, and use a pulling motion outwards to the rim - still pointing at 7 oclock, this is using the botton edge of the gouge to cut ( more of a scrape )

Now im a newb - so there will be better answers coming your way im sure.

I do know though there are some youtubes on this - ill have a look.

Loz

Sounds very familiar to most of us. There are a number of rerasons the two main ones being how you have the wood held and the other how you are using the tool. Loz's example is good, not the only one but go with that to start. Try taking little cuts. How are you holdong the wood? It needs to be on tight or any catch can throw it.

Pete

Welcome to the Forum rob, although you will get as much help as you need from forum members can I point you to a source of information, that is if you don't already have it.

It goes though all the basics of which tool and how to present them.

Keith Rowleys, a Foundation course

9781861081148.jpg

as iam learning this hobby wood not unknown to me just some branches i found in woods by me white colored barck lathe is wtl 12a was using low speed as not fermiler with tools yet chuck also unkown it as been posted before in other post

Latest posts

Back