New workshop which machines?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F Flinstone

Established Member
Reaction score
Later on this year I will have had a new workshop built about 40m2. The choice of new machines is a bit bewildering so some advice is needed. Its for hobby use so all single phase, but serious hobby work sometimes with large timbers 200x200, so a Band saw/ Table saw/Mortizer/Planer thicknesser/Belt sander/ Extraction system/Spindle moulder. I would prefer to buy from one place, I have done some research and some manufacturers specialized in one or more types "Sedgwick" for planers etc So I have "Axminster" and "Charnwood" and "Startrite" and "Damatomacchine" the budget is about 8K, Any advice will be appreciated Thankyou. FF

I’d recommend looking at hammer as we highly rate their machines. Better to buy a few top quality than lots of mediocre machines.
Regarding planers I would strongly recommend you choose a planer thicknesser with Tersa blades that don’t require any setting (ie drop in and go) as faffing with setting up planer blades just wastes so much time and is less accurate IMO. Regarding a spindle moulder, try and stretch to one with a tilting spindle and sliding table as it greatly improves its usefulness.
Regarding a Tablesaw, I’d go for one with the longest sliding table you can afford as if you’ve got the room you’ll find it invaluable.
Bandsaw wise you’re really looking for something substantial with the cutting height you need.

You’re not going to get all these from hammer for 8k but worth going to check them out in person so you can see the difference in quality and prioritise which machines you need to start with. I’d say Tablesaw, planer thicknesser, extractor and spindle moulder would be my first purchases, followed by morticer then band saw. I assume you already have a good selection of hand/power tools as you’re only talking about machines. Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back