New workshop plans and advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
Getting closer! I've finally decided on the size of the new workshop and layout of the building.

Workshopplan.jpg

It will be this style - but obviously not 'L' shaped

4087_7642.jpg

and with this style roof

4239_7002.jpg

I am waiting for the quotations from the builder for the foundations and also for the electricians but I'm hoping to have it built for the summer.

I am planning to fit a Hotspot stove but I'm not sure what other heating to have in there to keep the chill off. Any suggestions?

My new workshop is about half the area of yours Rob.
I was considering a hotspot but recently I've been keeping the chill off with a 750 watt radiator.
I've decided that even the smallest hotspot would be too much for me

I have taken considerable pains to remove all draught gaps and I have 25mm polystyrene in the walls and under the floor and 100mm fibreglass in the roof.

You might want to get the workshop built before installing the hotspot and see if you really need one.

Just my 2p

Bob

Interesting to hear about the hotspot - I looked at the bigger ones because of the size but I'm not so sure now.

Hi Rob,

Have you got 3-phase power?

If so, I can recommend one of these for warming up the shop on those really cold mornings.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.as ... 2138&g=118

I bought one last year when we were freezing our nuts off and it's great. Warms up a shop bigger than yours in no time - then we turn it right down to keep the chill off.

Cheap to buy but not to run - so we probably only turn it on a couple of dozen days a year, but on those days you wouldn't be without it!

You could also try one of these mounted on the wall behind your workbench.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.as ... 2138&g=118

Cheers
Brad

Probably going to sound very stupid here - but I know some bigger machines are three phase only. I know NOTHING about electricity and leave that to the experts, but I'm wondering if it's worth getting a three phase supply to the workshop. Is it much different to getting a single phase supply and are there cost implications?

Three phase power, you will need a quote from your supplier depends where nearest feed is. Also a new quote from the electrician to distribute it.
Initial installation costs can be high but s/h machinery is less expensive .

Latest posts

Back