new woodworking inventions - help me!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rafezetter":z8v5y7t0 said:
heimlaga":z8v5y7t0 said:
In the heavier end of woodworking I can think of two tools I sorely miss:

-A safer way of drilling peg holes in log walls. A gigantic slow turning hand held drill with a 1 1/2 inch auger bit is fairly efficient but it all too easily converts itself into a one man merry-go-round and that is not very funny when it happens 3 or 4 metres above ground. There must be a way to make some kind of light portable drill guide that would steer the drill straight down and prewent it from rotating.
-A kind of combined cant hook/pry bar with the lower end of the bar shaped as the straight end of a crow bar. I have a prototype on the way as soon as I find some time for a little forging.

if you are doing it vertically surely a simple inverted U shaped jig with deep (long enough to hit the central part of the log) expandable sides (for width) with a separate central crossbeam at the top with a hole in it (few inch thick block maybe with a tough lining of some type) to guide the auger would suffice? The sides sections need to be say 4 inches or so to resist the torsion of the auger digging into the timber.

I can sketch it up for you if you needed.

here you go - 5 mins in paint:

jig1_zpsca0bdae0.png

if you need something to stop the drill rotating make the sides much higher on the top portion so they go either side of a drill and add some t nuts in both sides, add bolts with block on the ends and bring them so they brace against the side of the drill and voila a non spinning vertically guided drilling jig. something like that you could practically set it up put a weight on it - clamp the switch on and let it run itself down while you stay safely on ground level.

lol pay my airfare to finland and I'll make it for you too!

and that badgers toilet paper made me really LOL! :)

You gave me something to think about. The design makes sence...... at least mostly.......time for some thinking...... Maybe I should weld up a prototype.......

Back