New Video: Locust Crotch Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobham

Established Member
Reaction score
I have uploaded a new video series to Youtube. This one is about re-turning a roughed out honey locust crotch winged bowl. The playlist is available at: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 732DA84BD1

Take care
Bob

Locust%20crotch%201-640.jpg

Locust%20crotch%202-640.jpg

Locust%20crotch%203-640.jpg

Locust%20crotch%204-640.jpg

Bob

As always a great video, very instructive, and the finished article is stunning. One question, how on earth do you sand it, carefully I would think,I noticed a quick glimpse of a drill?

regards
Rod

Stunning Bob, think I need more practice before attempting one of these! Will take a look at your videos later... cheers HM

Thanks, all.

Rod, I sanded using a 3" mandrel in an electric drill, pretty much the same way I sand any other bowl except I don't slow the lathe down when I am sanding an interrupted surface like this. I keep the sanding pad tilted a bit so that the leading edge of the wings doesn't catch on the edge of the disk but makes first contact about 1/3 of the distance from the edge to the center. That does tend to round over the leading edges of the bowl if you need to do much heavy sanding so usually on a winged piece I dress the edges after sanding with a block plane or spoke shave to bring back the crisp corner. On this one I couldn't do that on the bark edges so I needed to get the best surface I could off the tool to minimize the amount of sanding needed.

Take care
Bob

Back