New turner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RATWOOD

Established Member
Reaction score
New woodturner
I had my granddaughter Melanie who is 4 1/2 over to do so turning
well ok I did the turning she did the sanding

21022010089.jpg

21022010088.jpg

21022010087.jpg

21022010086.jpg

21022010083.jpg

21022010092.jpg

Well done Chris for letting her have a go.
Looks like she is off to a good start :D
No doubt we will be seeing her at the demos soon :wink:

Nice one Chris,

Looks like well have a whole generation of great turners in a few years time !!!

:D :D

Looking at this thread and the other current thread where Andi makes her first pen; what age do people think it is suitable for kids to get involved with turning and woodworking?

Mine are currently 6 and 4 and they are curious about the workshop. The four year old just wants to help sweep up, but the 6 year old is starting to become more curious about the tools.

I don't think it's an age thing so much as how tall the child is and how willing to be told what to do, I have some grandkids who are big enough but too flighty and others who would be great and are keen but too small.

Pete

it also depends distinctly on the tools - remember that muppet in the states who let his four year old use a tablesaw

I think it depends only on the parents. Only they can make the right decision on their child's abilities and likeliness to harm themselves. 6 seems fine if the child has begun to show signs of common sense. I know some adults whom surprise me that they manage to get dressed without seriously harming themselves. Maybe start them with sanding a piece you've turned and observe their actions. Build it up slowly slowly. You also have to make it interesting for them. Too much labouring\boring work will just scare them away.

wizer":2hmbqf7t said:
Maybe start them with sanding a piece you've turned and observe their actions. Build it up slowly slowly. You also have to make it interesting for them. Too much labouring\boring work will just scare them away.

Too true, she has the attention span of a butterfly at the best of times ;)

Back