New Toy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats fine if you don't mind heights! I suppose it could also come in handy in later life instead of fitting a stairlift
I'm scared of heights. The cherry picker will fit through a double door, so I might be able get it in the house. probably cheaper than a stair lift.

Nah, no contest, an early Fordson Standard on rubber or as suggested the little grey Fergie.
I like the Fordson Major, it's what I drove when I was young. The sound of it when pulling a few tons of grain up a hill.....fantastic!!

I did find a short term solution for moving the cherry picker in the garden. I just used a rope and my endless chain to pull it into position. A bit slow, but I got it where I wanted.

It looks like a quality tower. I have one of those really cheap DIY towers. It was OK for reaching high hedges, but wasn't high enough to reach chimneys.

The guy that fitted my chimney liner just used a ladder to reach to the chimney, then climbed up standing on top of it without a care in the world. No safety harness, nothing. I literally couldn't watch him. The thought of it made my knees shake!
The guy who used to do our roof maintenance/gutter clearing is no longer available. He'd climb out of our skylight and clamber about without a qualm, despite it being a 30/40 foot drop onto concrete tiles all round.

The reason for his non-availability is that some barsteward hired him for some roof work a couple of winters back. He slipped on an icy tile and fell three stories onto concrete. The guy he was working for put him in his car and drove him - not to the hospital but to the roof guy's home, where he lived alone. He was found there the next day, having died during the night. No charges were brought against that flint-hearted so and so. If I were still young and fit I'd go round there and help him to see the error of his ways....🤬

I like the Fordson Major, it's what I drove when I was young. The sound of it when pulling a few tons of grain up a hill.....fantastic!!

I did find a short term solution for moving the cherry picker in the garden. I just used a rope and my endless chain to pull it into position. A bit slow, but I got it where I wanted.
I seem to recall you tried a ride on lawn tractor but not enough traction.
At my house in France I had a nasty scare pulling a load of logs for the wood burner up to the house when the Westwood lost grip and jack knifed back down the hill. It just had the normal turf tyres on so I got a set of agri/chevron tyres fitted and had no more problems skidding. That might be a cheaper option.
Actually I got another Westwood so I have one for grass cutting and the other with the agri tyres for moving the caravan around the garden and general moving jobs.

Excellent piece if kit. Makes me think of other uses. Wedding photographer, giraffe dentist, going to see sports events without paying to get in, watching parades and suchlike without having to turn up early, swatting intrusive drones, estate agents photos ..... there must be more.

I got a set of agri/chevron tyres fitted and had no more problems skidding. That might be a cheaper option.
thanks. great idea, I just ordered a pair. :) I was needing new tyres anyway. The old ones were cracked and leaked.

Makes me think of other uses. Wedding photographer, giraffe dentist, going to see sports events without paying to get in
😁I'm sure it would be a nightmare of health and safety/risk assessment with local authorities if I set up a giraffe dental practice, or tried to use it in a public place.

not sure I'd trust a 🦒to look after my teeth :unsure:

still probably better than the 💈I use now

Golly, wish we had one of those.
The only alternative was my wife ( carefully ) climbed the pecan tree with a pole saw. The pecan is now at a more manageable height and the wife survived.

... it's a game changer as far as doing repairs up high on an old house....

Just realised that that's a really early model - the one I hired had hydraulic support legs with pressure alarms - if a pad started to become unweighted it prevented you from moving the cage further out. You could move the wheels out for road use and then in again for moving around through narrow spaces between flowerbeds & the house etc. There's also a self-powered version that has electric motors for the wheels which is a damn sight easier than pulling a tonne or so of recalcitrant steel around the place over uneven ground!

There's a lot to go wrong on these things and the consequences of a failure can, at the very least, be painful and possibly far worse - you really need to understand hydraulics and all the safety features of the device (which on your model, don't seem to be many!)

Stay safe!

Last edited:
A toy I wouldn't mind having too. 👍

I don't see, in the picture, you wearing a fall protection harness. You should as you never know when you are going to be boinked out of the cage. They are required in all job site man lifts here and I would assume for you too.

I had a buddy that had access to a smaller one when he redid his roof. He used it among other things to lift all the asphalt shingles to the roof, a couple bundles at a time. It actually came from a cherry orchard.🍒

Pete
It wasn't Chekov by any chance.? 😃

Just realised that that's a really early model - the one I hired had hydraulic support legs with pressure alarms - if a pad started to become unweighted it prevented you from moving the cage further out. You could move the wheels out for road use and then in again for moving around through narrow spaces between flowerbeds & the house etc. There's also a self-powered version that has electric motors for the wheels which is a damn sight easier than pulling it around the place over uneven ground!
yes, it's 20 years old. It has alarms on the legs. I always make double sure the pads are very well supported. One good consequence of being scared of heights is being paranoid about the pads being on stable ground using additional material below the pads on grass. My one also has movable wheels. It will pass through a 1metre opening and just 1.9m high. It doesn't have the boom arm or hydraulic stabilisers. That would put it out of my price range. Spares are very expensive. Most are proprietary parts. There were a couple of iffy problems with the unit, but not serious enough to put me off purchasing. I was straightening a squint chimney pot yesterday. It's been squint since we moved into the house 40+ years ago and it always annoyed me. Now it's straight. 😁 😁

I really like Nifty lifts best make I know of, your 20 year old example shows how well made they are, I have done LOLER inspections on dozens and even badly neglected and abused they just keep going.

Make sure you use the correct lanyard one that's just long enough to work with but wont let you climb out of the cage not one with an energy absorber that's the most common mistake you see on sites

£5000 made my eyes water but I shouldn't be surprised by current prices.

At my house in France I had a nasty scare pulling a load of logs for the wood burner up to the house when the Westwood lost grip and jack knifed back down the hill. It just had the normal turf tyres on so I got a set of agri/chevron tyres fitted and had no more problems skidding. That might be a cheaper option.
IMG_6267.JPG

They arrived. I should get them fitted in the next couple of days and try them out.

Back