New Toy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After searching for 2 years, several scammers on gumtree, a 700 mile round trip, severe hold-ups on the motorway, road closures, torrential rain, sweltering heat, I finally got this machine home. Shared with my son in law. I've been using it all week, reaching places which were impossible before. It's brilliant. Certainly beats standing on the top of a ladder, just about reaching the apex of the roof. Now I can stand in comfort, all my tools convenient and work in comfort and more safely.

View attachment 140590
You Just need a cherry orchard!;)

MikeJhn,
hope it was tied in at the top and 1/2 way up.....wire or rope with a fixed eye in the wall.....
those steady's cant really be trusted at that height....
n the ladder need to poke thru further, easier to mount and dismount....I know it's at max....
nice piece of kit tho....
Designed as a free standing aluminium scaffold tower by Youngmans, but if you look closely you will see the toe boards are punched off the eaves, also the top rail above the ladder is hinged and can be moved out of the way once I am there so a simple step over.

You Just need a cherry orchard!
this was my apprentice and I cherry picking two weeks ago. That's when I realised we have to find a better way!!!

Cherry picking.JPG

Can I borrow it!
yes, £150 a day 😁 😁.

My neighbour, who does a lot of his work with my tools was testing the water by asking about it. He never looks after my stuff. I wouldn't lend it to anyone, because it's a really dangerous bit of machinery and the LOLER certificate expired ages ago. Spares are a fortune should they damage it.
I must go get my sack barrow back from the neighbour. It's been sitting out in the rain since I lent it to him.

Designed as a free standing aluminium scaffold tower by Youngmans,
It looks like a quality tower. I have one of those really cheap DIY towers. It was OK for reaching high hedges, but wasn't high enough to reach chimneys.

The guy that fitted my chimney liner just used a ladder to reach to the chimney, then climbed up standing on top of it without a care in the world. No safety harness, nothing. I literally couldn't watch him. The thought of it made my knees shake!

Don't put ideas in my head!!! 🤣 Don't think I could survive the drive back up to Scotland in it
There's a German guy who has been doing a tour of Scotland on a vintage Duetz and pulling a caravan, he's been at it for about 2 years so far. I think someone mentioned him a while ago in a thread

A toy I wouldn't mind having too. 👍

I don't see, in the picture, you wearing a fall protection harness. You should as you never know when you are going to be boinked out of the cage. They are required in all job site man lifts here and I would assume for you too.

I had a buddy that had access to a smaller one when he redid his roof. He used it among other things to lift all the asphalt shingles to the roof, a couple bundles at a time. It actually came from a cherry orchard.🍒

Pete

The guy that fitted my chimney liner just used a ladder to reach to the chimney, then climbed up standing on top of it without a care in the world. No safety harness, nothing. I literally couldn't watch him. The thought of it made my knees shake!
Funny you should say that:

2013-03-03 12.02.55.jpeg

I don't see, in the picture, you wearing a fall protection harness.
That was just a quick trip up and down. I do wear a harness when I'm working. I even walked away from the lift while still attached to it. Needless to say, when I reached the end of my tether, I didn't move the lift one bit. I almost ended up on my backside, but the harness saved me!. If you were working on a commercial site, you would require all the safety gear/procedures, but at home, you can be as daft as you like.

It was £5k, split two ways. It seems to be an OK unit. I've been using it all week. I've never used one before, but it's a game changer as far as doing repairs up high on an old house. I used to be at the very top of a 3 stage ladder reaching up to paint woodwork. Now I can stand in comfort in the cage, all my tools and paint beside me and look down on the ridge. I'm scared of heights, but after a couple of days, It doesn't bother me. I still get uneasy when I'm at the max outreach of 5m, especially when it jolts to a stop at the end of travel and sways a bit. Today I was replacing 5m lengths of wood on the roof. It was really easy compared to doing it with a tower and a ladder.
Once I get the woodwork replaced and painted, I'll be repointing some walls. Here's me returning to earth after inspecting a chimney.

View attachment 140614
As an ex BT engineer we used to have "platform" engineer drivers for accessing electrical poles and poles with low wires on them etc. They are a must, but please promise me to get a step in body harness and attach yourself to the cage. The amount of people (not BT but other utility comps) who are thrown from elevating platforms who were not wearing them is more common than you think! Guess what? They did not live another day to tell the tale. Oh and touching overhead power with the boom, a man lost his arm in Wales a few years ago with the amount of amps running through him to earth :( Friendly advice rant over!

Latest posts

Back