New to woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorkshire Sam

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a total newby to woodworking. I am retired and finally doing something I have always wanted to do and that is learn how to do 'proper woodwork' . Over the years I have done a fair share of DIY but never anything really skilled. The last time I did anything like it was many many years ago at school! I am learning mainly from books and the web and experimenting while turning my garage into a home workshop. I would love to go to ' school ' to learn but I cant really afford it as I am spending any spare cash acquiring tools from various sources such as boot sales and ebay. Can anyone offer any advice on how to acquire 'the knowledge' and a good source of used tools?

Hi Sam welcome

Youtube is full of how to video's. Plus there is the New yankee workshop to give you a rough idea on things. But mainly i would say start simple, design something you want / need for around the house or workshop. And just keep practising :)

I reckon

design something for the house
start building it
then ask what tool would be best to use for each task
cheaper than buying a bunch of old tools u never want
they all seem friendly on here , and good with their advice

if u don't ask u may never know

Steve

p.s. boot fairs are addictive...stay away from them

Hi Sam,
Like you, I have only started 'proper' woodworking this year, having spent almost my entire life doing simple DIY stuff.
I've found myself on a pretty steep learning curve - getting furniture making books off ebay, watching youtube videos as Carl has said, and reading the posts on this forum - it's surprising the knowledge you pick up. And the good thing about it being a hobby is that it doesn't matter if it takes a whole day to do a few mortice and tenons - there's no pressure.
You just need a good set of hand tools, a few power tools ,a couple of machines, and you're away. I've recently finished an oak table which I'm chuffed to bits with - I even surprised myself.
Good luck,
John

Hi Sam,

like you I have just got the urge to do some woodwork and apart from a pine bookshelf built some 20 years ago, I have only done bits since school days and I'm over 70 now. The candle was lit when my son said he wanted a Router for Christmas. Having looked up what it could do, I was amazed and set about improving the worktop in the double garage we have, so that he (and me) will have more space to play,

After buying timbers at a local sawmills, to reinforce the top with 3/4 hardwood ply to put on top of the old 1" battered chipboard left by the former owner, I today completed the work and gave it one coat of Osmo hard oil, as advised on this forum and will give it a couple more coats soon. It looks good and will try and get a picture to post.

I now have additional timber and ply to put up for tools and have been casting my eye on a bench band saw. Another remarkable machine that I may treat myself to in the coming months, together with a bench drill. The saw reminds me of an old treddle saw I had as a child and made lots of dolls furniture.

I have discovered that the power drill I have will also go in reverse, which helps with screws and I will be looking at my old chisels, which undoubtedly will need some care and sharpening.

My Christmas list has included some carpentry tools and it's something new to get my teeth into.

Hope you have fun and enjoy your Christmas.

Alex

See new thread - Work in Progress - Bench, with photos

G'day Sam and welcome. Sounds like you're starting out exactly like I did. There are some good books and DVD's out there which will help you a lot. Have a look at the thread "What books do other forum members have" (I think that's the title) for some excellent pointers. Then of course, there's the forum and I can can confirm there's a lot of knowledgeable people here more than willing to help.
Wherever your tastes in woodwork lie, start with something simple but challenging and grow from there. There's nothing better than the sense of achievement got from producing a well made and finished piece of work no matter how plain and simple and the skills learned from that will give you the confidence to try something more challenging.
Have a great Christmas.

Welcome Sam.

All your questions can be answered on this site, practice, practice, practice. As has already been said YouTube has a host of tips and valuable info, check out Jigs & Tips on here especially The wonderful world of Niki's jigs.

Baldhead

Choose something you'd really like to make, not too simple, but at the same time not so advanced or large you'll give up on it. Something that will not take ages to make but needs some careful work will inspire confidence for bigger stuff later.

Then ask, ask, keep asking questions on here when you're stuck and can't find answers on the many web tutorials.

RogerP":3lrl1nfj said:
Choose something you'd really like to make, not too simple, but at the same time not so advanced or large you'll give up on it. Something that will not take ages to make but needs some careful work will inspire confidence for bigger stuff later.

Then ask, ask, keep asking questions on here when you're stuck and can't find answers on the many web tutorials.

Excellent advice =D> . I would add that it depends on where you're at as to what is too simple. There are a number of books etc which get you to start making a tool box and this is where apprenticeships often started. It's a good way to develop essential basic skills and gives you somewhere to put your kit. You can start with simple nailed together boxes (such as my post: how-not-to-make-a-japanese-tool-box-t73577.html) or try and get a copy of the Anarchist's Toolchest, which goes a bit into theory and philosophy. or find plans for a nice dovetailed chest/box/suitcase. As long as it's not totally rubbish at the end, it doesn't quite matter how well you've done it but as it's not going to be a display piece, but it'll give you an idea where you are before making a display piece and even if it's not pretty it's still gonna be useful.

By the way, welcome Sam :D and I wish you the best for the future.

(PS I presume you had to be dragged screaming and kicking into Co Durham from the Peoples Republic of Yorkshire, did the missus make you do it?)

Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement. I am very impressed by the warm welcome. Happy christmas to all and thanks again.
And yes my wife is the reason I am in Durham.

Welcome to the forum! I find one of the best source' for information is this forum. Although books & Google searches specific to the projects you are about to undertake can prove to be valuable starting points to gain the immediately required knowledge, the rest is just what you pick up along the way.

Hi and welcome. The YouTube site I started my new interest in was one by Steve Ramsey called, 'Woodworking for mere mortals' It would not satisfy some experienced woodworkers but I found some of his older posts great, especially about jig making and setting up your workshop - have fun

Jinx

Hi Sam

Welcome fellow newbie, I too have only recently got into woodworking I already I have learned a great deal from just reading this forum. As others have said, new Yankee workshop is good, infant I can't get enough of it. I've started on simple projects and gone from there.

I see you are fairly local to me in Newcastle, there's a great market on at Tynemouth metro station on a sat and sun were you occasionally get some great tool offers.

Stephen

As has been said by many here, my top tip is to do the woodwork. I personally spent too much time researching, buying, and fettling tools (fun though that is). I should have been doing more woodwork. Every project you do (no matter how small) will teach you something. Usually it's something you've already read about or watched in a video, but it's in the actual doing yourself that the penny typically drops (like so much in life).

carlb40":1hqbbp9c said:
Hi Sam welcome

Youtube is full of how to video's. Plus there is the New yankee workshop to give you a rough idea on things. But mainly i would say start simple, design something you want / need for around the house or workshop. And just keep practising :)

+1 for You Tube. there is masses of good stuff on there now on any subject.

Welcome to the forum Sam, don't be afraid to ask, you'll get some excellent help here :wink:

wellywood":1ryzwpto said:
Grayorm":1ryzwpto said:
Paul Sellers works with basic hand tools and is like your old woodwork teacher at school. http://www.youtube.com/user/PaulSellersWoodwork/videos

I hope not Grayorm. Mine used to whack me with a length of scrap timber. :D

Ha! Ours called us noggins. I remember being repeatedly hit on the head (gently) with a piece of 2x1 until I would confirm that I was a noggin.

If our woodwork teacher got fed up with us nattering then watch out and duck behind the bench to avoid the 4 x 2 missiles.
Cheers,
John

:lol: I remember a lad a year older than me being taken into the wood store - he was going to be threatened with a hiding. He was as hard as nails, but he came out in tears. He bent me over the circular saw, the bas****! I thought he was going to saw me in half! he said.

Back