new to turning.. cheap lathe ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef

Established Member
Reaction score
Does it make sence to start on a cheap lathe ?
I have the Mac Alister 370 in mind.
I can get that second hand for 75euros..

or should i just save up a little more, and go for something better ?

I started on a real cheapo, just to see if I liked (and could cope with) the turning process. The limitations and quality of the lathe soon became apparent, but I was hooked and so I then stepped up to a really good lathe.

If I'd have gone for the good lathe first and discovered I didn't take to turning, I'd still have been able to sell it on and the experience of a good lathe is so different from the budget models that they're hardly comparable. If you like turning on a budget lathe, you'll love it on a better one! :)

You could perhaps find a turning club first?

Ray

There are some good bargains to be had on Ebay and I agree with Argee that starting with a really cheapo lathe can be frustrating. I don't know what is available on Ebay for Nirmandy but certainly worth looking around. Most latehs on Ebay are collect only which sould be a problem. Other alternative is the smaller lathes from Axminster etc which whilst having the limitations of size are much better quality and will certainly get you going and have a reasonable sell on price if upgrading.

Pete

For what its worth, I started with a Draper single bed bar lathe that I bought for £79.00 16 years ago. I kept it for 2 years during which time I realised its limitations BUT at the same time worked out ways to get around problems without buying new kit!

Then when the obsession took hold, I invested in the Record CL3 which I am still using very happily.

I agree that buying a lathe that is going to last is sometimes a good idea BUT if after only a few months of unsuccessful or unhappy turning you decide not to bother, it is likely that you will lose out financially due to depreciation.

A cheaper lathe will give you a good grounding in make do and mend and then when the time comes to upgrade things will be that much easier, IMO.

Regards, Peter.

I started even further down the pecking order, with a B&D "lathe attachment" and two carbon steel gouges. Hopeless for anything serious, but the sense of achievment from turning something half decent was enough to get me hooked.
And I even sold it at enough of a profit :) to be able to spend £25 on a "proper" Coronet round bed lathe.
So advice to original poster is to do whatever you feel comfortable with - a cheapo that you will want to upgrade, or a bigger investment that you might find ideal, or might find a complete waste of money. But whichever you do, get some tuition if at all possible, before you develop the sorts of bad habits that I have!

ah..
ok..
not a clear cut answer then.
is turning really that tricky ? is it really necessary to get lessons?
:?
i naively thought it wasnt that hard.
to be honest, i've never really been attracted to turning, it's just that i have found a liking to making toy cars, and i have feeling that a lathe will be very usefull to make wheels.

hence my question.

so maybe i can refine it further... will a cheap lathe be ok to do some wheels (round 3 inches diameter), and will i find it really hard without tuition ?

stef":usys4bwq said:
ah..
ok..
not a clear cut answer then.
is turning really that tricky ? is it really necessary to get lessons?
:?
i naively thought it wasnt that hard.
to be honest, i've never really been attracted to turning, it's just that i have found a liking to making toy cars, and i have feeling that a lathe will be very usefull to make wheels.

hence my question.

so maybe i can refine it further... will a cheap lathe be ok to do some wheels (round 3 inches diameter), and will i find it really hard without tuition ?

enter " Woodturning " in Youtube and have a look , loads of clips on that site

Latest posts

Back