New to turning and struggling with non-standard lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andylittlejohns

Reaction score
Hello,

I was kindly given a lathe that belonged to my friend's late husband. This struck me as being fantastic since I've wanted to try wood turning for years but haven't had the funds to buy myself a lathe etc. I've bought Keith Rowley's book and read most of it, I've looked at a few websites and had a couple of friends who have some wood turning experience come and try to make sense of all the bits and try to a few test items on it.

Many of the accessories have crucial bits missing - particularly true of the chucks. Not a problem I thought, I would just buy new ones to replace them since spares don't seem to be readily available for them (almost everything is 30+ years old). However, I've discovered that this lathe is a bit of an odd one according to various reference sites. It is a Sherwood lathe made by James Inns and the headstock is equipped with a 3/4" 10tpi Whitworth thread. I'm finding it very hard anything that will fit onto it. I am particularly looking for a screw chuck, there is part of one but frustratingly it lacks the mounting to attach it to the headstock. I have looked at dozens of sites and I think I'm on to a loser trying to find anyone who manufactures chucks with a 3/4" 10tpi thread. I did find a company in the US that makes an adapter that would allow me to buy parts with a 1" 8tpi thread which looks like it might be worthwhile.

So I have a few questions:
Am I right in thinking I won't find any chucks to fit my lathe? (at least not at a price I can afford)
Is the adapter a good idea? I have friends in the US who might be able to bring it over and save me shipping if all else fails.
Is there somewhere in the UK that makes a similar adapter?
Should I give up on the blasted thing and wait until I can afford a more standard lathe? (I'm not really considering this an option, just frustrated after going round in circles trying to make sense of it)
If the adapter is a worthwhile, what should I be looking at by way of screw chucks (and others) to buy as a beginner on a fairly tight budget.

I would be very grateful for any help anyone can give.

Andy

Thank you for your quick reply. I've looked at your links and can see that would work but it's a little bit more than I was hoping to spend at this stage which is why the adapter was tempting. With that arrangement I would be able to get something like an Axminster screw chuck and spend a bit less, in the short term at least.

Hi

In my opinion, a better option would be to purchase a face plate and use it to produce glue / jam chucks - they are far more versatile and secure than screw chucks.

Regards Mick

Mick, that sounds like an interesting option. I have at least two faceplates, I think the third is like the screw chuck and missing it's mounting. I'm struggling to believe that hot melt glue can take the strain likely to be put on it by turning, though I've seen a couple of videos of it done since reading your post. I've just got myself a grinder to sharpen up the tools I have and am looking to purchase a couple more so that I can have a proper go at last.

Andy

andylittlejohns":3k75c2he said:
..I'm struggling to believe that hot melt glue can take the strain likely to be put on it by turning, though I've seen a couple of videos of it done since reading your post. ...

Hot melt is more than adequate, just look at the size of this blank held on hot melt.

Just make sure hot melt is really hot and bubbling.

If using metal faceplate I would suggest you fix wood or MDF to it and glue work to that to get a better bond than chilling the hot melt on the metal.

Some more Hot Melt blocks in use here, they are held on a screw chuck but you could just as easily glue them to a wood faced faceplate.

Back