New to turning, a month in pictures

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lexx

Established Member
Reaction score
My first post was a question so thought I'd make my second an introduction, I live in Co. Down and I've been working with wood most my adult life in different forms, can't believe I haven't found turning before this.... addicted since I inherited a Record CL2 and started playing with it last month.

Here is my month in pictures,

Started making boxes out of pallet blocks they came out ok, but the woods too soft in the bigger blocks generally and I ended up carving the tops to cover up. The smaller boxes were made from small pallet blocks and I was happier with them not sure what they are wood wise.

Pallet block box.jpg

wee boxes.jpg

Then I moved on with my first bowl from some Ash that was felled 3 years ago beside the house..

first bowl.jpg

Then I made a bowl for my cousin for general pocket shrapnel with a good thick edge to take the punishment

Bowl for D.jpg

Bowl for D 2.jpg

the next week I made a small tapered bark box and a tealight holder
Bark box.jpg

Bark Box Open.jpg

Last week I turned out a bark lipped bowl which I have still to finish ...

bark lipped bowl.jpg

Currently I have my first purchased blank on the lathe a nice bit of american cherry , having a nightmare trying to finish it inside, but will persist !!

I'm quite happy with my progression, and I'd like to thank all the contributors to this forum for the inspiration and depth of knowledge that you provide, invaluable !!

Lexx

Attachments

• Pallet block box.jpg
    Pallet block box.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,379
  • wee boxes.jpg
    wee boxes.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,379
  • first bowl.jpg
    first bowl.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,379
  • Bowl for D.jpg
    Bowl for D.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 1,379
  • Bowl for D 2.jpg
    Bowl for D 2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,379
  • Bark box.jpg
    Bark box.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 1,379
  • Bark Box Open.jpg
    Bark Box Open.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 1,379
  • tealight  (1).jpg
    tealight (1).jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 1,379
  • tealight  (2).jpg
    tealight (2).jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 1,379
  • bark lipped bowl.jpg
    bark lipped bowl.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,379
well looks like your doing well the top boxes are probable pine and the others look like beech but over all looks good

I'm in my 40's btw and not sensitive all c&c's welcome, I know I have a long journey ahead of me to reach the level I aspire to, but sure it'll be a nice wee dander with plenty of craic on the way ;)

I like the tea light holder best of all, imaginative! Lexx eh, you pick your name from the series or is that just a coincidence? (Bring back Eva Haberman!)

Thanks for the welcome, yep carried this handle across forums for the last 10 odd years, Eva was was definately the one, ultimate cluster lizard ;)

Funny from all the pieces I turned out sofar, I do love the candle holders too, theyre very tactile, I did buy some glass tea light holders from Ikea, but these wee red jobbies are just a wee bit smaller and fit better size wise with the bark band.

Need some sharpening jigs, having fun sharpening the gouges by eye, and need something to finish the inside of the bowls better, watched a demo on Tues past at the Woodshed and the turner used a ring gouge sanded it for 1 min tops and it was done, i'm going to be sanding that Cherry bowl for a fortnight !!

Welcome to the forum Some sort of sharpening jig is needed i couldnt do without one Good sharp chisels will reduce the amount of sanding, Good luck with your woodturning it is a great hobby

Very good for your first pieces. The design of a piece of work is a matter of personal taste so nobody can say its not right. That said most people seem to think the walls of bowls etc look better when they are thinner and more delicate. They also try to keep the internal profile the same as the exterior so that the bowl does not warp over time. Like you I am a beginner so still absorbing all the information I can get my hands/eyes on.

Keep up the good work

Great stuff Lexx , you have been a busy beaver for a while I can see . As Paul J said looking forward to your next posting .

Well done, I've seen work like that presented on tables at Craft Fairs. Well done Lexx, perhaps you might dare to aim for thinner walls to give the items a lighter look. When working inside bowls, it is important to use sharp tools, and probably equally important to use a light cut, with the bevel gently brushing the surface. Great work though, keep going!

Excellent start. One piece of advice on here that I picked up when starting out was to keep your early stuff and as you progress you can see just how far your Woodturning has come when you look back at them. It's all about practice, I am not one for just doing practice cuts over and over, I usually like to make something but no matter how it turns out I pat myself on the back and then do the next one better.
Just enjoy it and have fun. Oh and the slippery slope everyone talks about once you start is true, there is always another tool etc that you will want :lol:
Elaine

Back