New to this game

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGH

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm quite new to woodworking, I made a wishing well for my wedding last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Since then I've only really played about with a couple of small softwood projects and trying to improve my joints.

I've decided that now is the time to try and move on to some more complex projects (the wife wants a new table), however i'm stalling at the early stages for a couple of reasons; 1 - I don't know where to start looking to find hardwood supplies that can deal with small quantities. 2 - To avoid messing up the first big project I want to work to a plan, but almost all the ones that i'm finding are based on imperial measurements.

I had a quick search of the forum and have seen quite a few asking where to buy wood so I apologise for adding another one, but I couldn't find any in the area I'm looking for. I'm moving to Anglesey next month so any suggestions around there or the North Wales region would help.

Finally, any advice on how to make use of Imperial plans using wood cut to UK standard sizes?

Welcome to the forum, I have personally have found it to be a very friendly and extremely helpful forum with some absolutely brilliant wood workers skills and knowledge to call upon. I would count myself as a shavings creator!

I can't help with a source in North Yorkshire, as I live in Cheshire. However, on the issue of plans and sizes, I simply would not worry too much. Pick the nearest metric size (slightly over of slightly under) and compensate when your measuring. I.e. It doesn't matter what the width or thickness is when your marking out for a joint, you will be using the size of the actual stock to dimension from.

As the saying goes, Engineers work to microns, joiners work to spot on.

Hi,
I would recommend a trip to John Boddy Timber in Boroughbridge if you want nice hardwood in North Yorkshire. A word of warning, however, as you will be overcome with the "I'll just have this bit as well" syndrome, when you walk around the oddments room.

with imperial plans this is a simple way to convert it,

if something is 6' 7 3/4"

6 X 12 = 72 + 7.75 =79.75

multiply 79.75 by 25.4 = 2025.65, that is you're answer in millimetres just round it to 2025mm

adidat

not trying to teach egg sucking by the way!

HI RGH and welcome to the world of wise men (homer) have had success by visiting Scawton Timber not far from Helmsley 2 very helpful guys they have a website and in my mind are more cost effective than Boroughbridge . Dave

RGH":3mihdo16 said:
I'm moving to Anglesey next month so any suggestions around there or the North Wales region would help.
A couple of hardwood suppliers for North Wales that might help:

Dave Hoyle in Llangernyw 01745 860376 or 07880 760804

or

Nathan (can't remember his surname) in Kinmel Bay 01745 353925 or 07775 591979

If you need it planed then the later (Nathan) would probably be your best bet

regards

Brian

Chaps,

Thank you for the posts so far, I'll pop into the sawmill in Boroughbridge this week even if just to pick up some hardwood off cuts to practice on.

I guess with the imperial vs metric side, I might just have to engage some brain power instead of blindly following the plan.

Brianhabby thanks for those suggestions I'll give them a call when I move across.

Hi RGH,
Welcome.
I wouldn't worry at all about the Imperial/Metric thing. Most people seem to be able to work with both standards but favouring Metric and I find most if not all materials are sold in Metric. Also all modern plans etc are in Metric except those from The States of course where Imperial is the standard.
Cheers
John

Back