New tisue box, strip and mitre design.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I am preparing some timber (old Sycamore and meranti) to strips, this time the carcass sides will most probably finish under 6mm thick and I am quite prepared for the project to end in disaster.

Progress to date.

1w-12.jpg

2w-11.jpg

Yesterday. Got the strips cut to equal lengths.

4w-10.jpg

And got out my mitre cutting jig inspired by our old former comrade Niki.

5w-10.jpg

And started cutting the pieces up like this.

7w-8.jpg

BTWk the weather was a perfect spring day here in Devon, 65far, 60% humidity.

6w-8.jpg

All the pieces cut to shape, apart from the central area to be done later.

8w-7.jpg

Some gluing up being done.

9w-7.jpg

And this mornings picture after pieces glued up and awaiting a clean up.

3w-10.jpg

The carcass has glued together well, box is square and mitred corners done on the router table this year (because of the grain direction of corners).
It is my thinnest tissue box yet, thats 1/4" thick, I think I ought to put stringers down each corner either internally or external, because this box is going to be handled often in use. What do you think?

12w-5.jpg

I am not going to put it through the thicknesser to clean up :wink:

looking good DW.

devonwoody":1svnkmgc said:
I think I ought to put stringers down each corner either internally or external, because this box is going to be handled often in use. What do you think?

How are you fixing the top and bottom?

The top of tissue box has an aperture and is glued to the carcass, so the top has adequate support. However the base only has sliders so no support comes from that area.

Last year I put external stringers at corners in contrast purple heart, I might use black walnut this time.

personally I'd stick them on the inside if it was me.... purely because they'll be unseen. If you can make it look nice then go for the outside option but I think the box looks nice outside as it is :) Just my opinion though! :?

Prepared some more strips and made a lid with aperture keeping the same design . Also put some runners inside the base for closures. Covered a closure in clingfilm to stop any glue of strips giving trouble.

13w-5.jpg

The lid which is under 6mm thick looks a bit stark so will build up some more pattern at corners of tissue aperture.

14w-3.jpg

BTW my tablesaw top is now getting less cluttered since the start of the season, managed to use up quite a few offcuts on these last three boxes.

15w-4.jpg

hi dw

that is going to look nice when finished , but one question please nothing to do with the box, why is there four piece of wood fixed to your bench vice surely you must be losing a fair chunk of vice clamping width :?: . hc

re vice, dunno, I fitted it up 7 years ago when I got the vice and I fitted it on the hoof so to speak (no instructions) and I think it had got something to do with levels. Seemed to have managed with present setup, most probably need a new bench to put right.

devonwoody":2wqyc1em said:
re vice, dunno, I fitted it up 7 years ago when I got the vice and I fitted it on the hoof so to speak (no instructions) and I think it had got something to do with levels. Seemed to have managed with present setup, most probably need a new bench to put right.

?? You been drinking Woody? :lol:

Honest not a drop your onour. Been on the teapot allday, bloody windows reinstall has played me up since 08.00, ten hours later I am still floundering.

My I/E 8 is now working but my O/E will only receive mail, I cannot get it to send any messages. I have to use my virginmedia mail to send messages, anyone got any ideas?

Could be your SMTP settings.

You should have them somewhere from when you signed up to your ISP.

If not, you'll be able to find them somewhere on your ISP's website.

Back to the workshop after my computer malady.

Decided that the lid aperture is too stark so designing a new lid pattern on the hoof.

1w-14.jpg

Mitred the strips again and fitted in aperture.

2w-12.jpg

Shaped the long edge on the bandsaw, taped the two pieces together with masking tape.

3w-11.jpg

Those two short ends I couldn't face doing on the B/S so got out my FIL's old fret saw,(now over one hundred years old and has one woodworm hole)

4w-11.jpg

I think the lid now looks better.

5w-11.jpg

Went back to the carcass and glued in strips on those empty sides doing some more handwork.

6w-9.jpg

Another offcut strip joins the storage, I will now have to make some more random strip boxes in the near future.

7w-9.jpg

Went back to work on the lid which has been causing me concern, it has a lot of glue and the last inserted piece stands proud.
Frightened to use it on a belt sander because there is only around 6mm thickness to hold on to when pushing to belt.
So mounted some double sided carpet tape to its rear and put on a holding piece. :wink:

8w-8.jpg

9w-8.jpg

10w-9.jpg

As you can see it has cleaned up nicely, I will be putting to a round-over router bit before the job is finished.

11w-6.jpg

OK assembly is now complete, tissue box inserted to show effect.
Timbers used were Sycamore, Meranti and thicknesses vary between 6 & 7mm over entire project.

I do have some other items awaiting a finish, and will spend a day finishing them off, however house maintenance, gardening and other duties are piling up and I have also got a new pattern in mind for another box which I would like to start but must somehow be heldback.

Thanks for looking and comments.

12w-6.jpg

BTW, there were 84 pieces in this box.

Latest posts

Back