New table saw under £1000 ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julesbarn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello to all workshop junkies!
I'm totally new here,so (hope not to bore you with..)a brief background and my current situation.

In my twenties I became a self taught woodcarver,and believe it or not,I managed to scratch a modest living from craft shop thingys to chainsaw carvings and all sorts of commissions.
In my late thirties I bought an old cob cottage to renovate,and accidentally became a builder,as people like!ed what I had done to my own home!
In my late forties, I bought a cob barn for conversion,and that's where I'm sitting now.(me and my family moved in recently).
I have now had enough of building,and want to work from home again. This is a big change for me; a new chapter,as it were. I built my workshop before I built our home (much more important!), so I'm keen to buy some new toys for my shed.
Not entirely sure what i will be creating...I shall see where things take me during this 'taking it easy' period,after 2 1/2 years of b arn converting(I did the whole thing on my own).

Soo....out with the site tablesaw for starters (anyone interested in a Bosch gsx10??!).
I want a nice cabinet saw for under or around £1000.
Been looking at the axy,trade 10" one (around £800 I think),but how does this compare,i wonder,with whatever else is out there within my budget (Clarke,record,sip etc...)

Axminster's service is really good, and I'm not too far from Axminster to go and drool over their stuff,but would really value your opinions on what might be the best buy currently for me, before I get too excited,wallet in hand, in the ax!monster showroom!

My wants...

10" saw
Quieter induction motor
Not interested in sliding table or extensions (I'll custom build extensions,outfeed table,sleds etc)
Decent enough dust extraction
Pref under a grand.

Blimey,I've gone on a bit. But tis my first post i spose.

Many thanks,

Jules

Jules

Hi and welcome to UK Workshops

I am afraid most will come on here and advise you to buy second hand as you will get a better deal, believe that if you will some do most don't, they find they have to fettle and modify most of what they have bought, but each to their own as it where, I am sure I will be castigated for that. (hammer) Just to add most new table saws will also need fettling and improving in the dust extract department, it seems the industry has not got to grips with dust extraction from table saws in all the time they have been around. :roll:

I suppose the most important point is what are you going to be using the table saw for, small bulk timbers, big sheets, little sheets, what will you be making it all has a bearing on what you may be advised to get, I build everything from wardrobes to picture frames and get on fine with the kit I have, not big budget stuff, even though I could buy more expensive if I wanted too, in fact what I have just upgraded to table saw wise, is less expensive that what you are getting rid of. :wink:

Let us all know what you want to build and the advice will come flooding in. :lol: :lol:

Mike

Cheers for the reply mike. I'm sure my question has been asked many times. I'm not new to fettling tools,but as I have little experience in buying stationary tools,I was willing to splash out on new,to avoid buying a piece of carp. I actually keep my site saw pretty accurate for what it is,but of course it lacks the stability of a nice heavy stationary one, and worst of all it's sooo noisy, and as for dust extraction...I'd rather modify,if needed, a saw that's really nice to use,which imo, the Bosch isn't, compared to others I've had a go on. now you got me thinking about buying used,but I will need advice on that too!

What will I be making?..small furniture,cajons(box drums),shelves ,mirror frames,drawers,small stuff. My style is,always rustic,but I want to have a fresh start with the potential of good accuracy,and like I said, something really nice to use and quieter. Hopefully the advice will come flooding in eh!?!

Thanks,

Jules

I think somebody here recently bought one of these and was happy with it:

http://scosarg.com/itech-01332-250mm-ca ... -saw-bench

axminster do have an ebay shop for some of their ex demo or used return machines -may be worth keeping an eye on.

for second hand options, consider: startrite, multico, wadkin (ags), sedgwick maybe scheppach, kity, minimax the usual issue is finding single phase and locally. There is generally very little to go wring with a table saw and most of these will all be cast iron tables with sheet steel bases and solidly made.

I keep looking for a suitable saw and the spec \ price if the Itech was appealing
but looking at the pictures it is a right tilt which put me off it

I guess a call wouldn't hurt as the spec says left tilt

Steve

I was in your exact position a few weeks ago where I wanted to upgrade from a site saw for the same reasons you mentioned. I visited Scott and Sargent and Axminster to look at the table saws mentioned above having compared all the other options and they were very similar, I believe all based around the same design. The better fence system on the slightly more expensive 12'' Itech model is the same as the £800 Axminster, however you get a left hand table extension as well as a right hand on the £800 Itech. Both have micro adjusters on the fences which work nicely, both are 16amp so bear that in mind, I guess it comes down to which company you'd rather order from.

Or as everyone says watch Ebay until something else crops up for cheaper, I managed to bag a Deft cabinet saw which I'm very happy with and is definitely superior and cheaper to buying new!

Edit: The Itech is definitely a right tilter, again like you something that put me off! The Deft is a left tilt ;)

Do you need the saw to be mobile i.e. on a base of some kind to move it around the workshop, or just move it out the way?

Most cabinet saws are just a table saw mounted on a stand and the gaps between the legs filled in with metal plate's, they all seem to discharge the saw dust into an open area under the saw and hope that the 100mm duct fitted to one of the plate's at the back will take most of it away, fat chance, also the crown guards I have seen on nearly all cabinet/table saws try to collect dust from the back of the blade area, this is not where the dust is, its at the front of the blade where the leading tooth meets the piece being cut.

This may interest you for potential ideas : axminster-ts-250-upgrading-base-and-dust-extraction-t99592.html

And this: axminster-hobby-series-ts-250m-basic-table-saw-t76221.html

And don't believe all the tails of "that saw needs a 16amp supply" any table saw that needs a 16amp supply continuously will most likely be three phase, but some induction motors do have a spike start up that can trip a normal RCD, this just needs changing to a D or S type RCD to compensate for the spike on start up, for any of our type machines to need a 16amp continuous supply on 220volts nominal would have a 3.5Kv motor or to put it another way 4.5hp and they are nearly impossible to get in single phase, especially in a table saw.

Mike

Thanks all! Lots for me to look at n think about...which won't happen til tomorrow; I'll be battling with a dodgy quick release mechanism on my new old record vice til bedtime! Axminster's ex demo or return may be a good option,and I don't think I'd get on with a right tilter.Mike i agree, I believe the £800 axy 10" says 16amp supply,but reviews say it's fine on 13 amp. Definitely want a stationary saw,I'll enjoy building and using extensions and outfeed table of my own design,which I wouldn't want to be moving around. Anyway,with a stationary saw,I'll always know where it is!! My shed is 75m2, (divided into 3 separate spaces of 25m2 each) and my current workshop area occupies one of these spaces. I'm going to extend the workshop to become 50m2, so plenty of room for a stationary saw. Very excited about this..my last shed at my old house was little more than 3mx3m.
I appreciate all your advice and ideas. Thanks,

Jules

If you can up you budget by a couple of hundred my choice would be the Jet JTS600. I don't own it, but I have seen one in action and it is very good. As close as you can get to something like a Hammer/Felder but less than a third of the cost. Reasonably compact for what it is as well.

Don't discount a sliding table - even if you aren't doing sheet goods they are still great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jet jts 600 feels a bit pricey bodgers, they seem to be going for £1370 ish. A lot more than the axy 10". I've simply not had the time to look at all the saws suggested here yet. Axminster sell them,so when i give myself a proper day off,I'll head to axminster and compare them both. I've never used a sliding table, only a homemade crosscut sled.

Jules

The axminster 10" can indeed run on a normal 13amp plug. The iTech is essentially the same machine but cheaper, so I'd suggest that if you're not worried about missing the well respected axminster service :)

Did I not read somewhere that Axminster are price matching? my mistake that would only be for the same product.

Mike

Just realised the axminster 10", sip10", as well as the itech10" are all right tilters..and all look like the same saw (more or less). I'm used to a left tilter,but feel i could get used to a right tilter. What are the pros and cons of either??? (I'm left handed if that makes any difference,but have always used the fence to the right of the blade) Also,does anyone know if they all have an induction motor?? From what i can find, only axminster state an induction motor. If only the axy was as cheap as the itech...

I believe the only real issue with a right tilt is that you need to put the piece face down when making an angled cut, and the blade can cause burning because the piece is between the blade and the table. With a left tilt, you can keep the face up, and the piece is free above the angled blade.

You can always lift the fence off and put it on the other side of the blade though, depending on your fence set up.

The Itech certainly looks the same but i'd probably opt to pay the same again for the Axi service if it was me. They've been super helpful in getting my home workshop sorted.

I bought my AW10 in the summer and i'm really liking it - admittidly it is my first table saw, so i haven't got much to compare it to but its certainly living up to my needs. I'm also running it on a 13amp plug after trusting Matt's advice :) no problems.

There was another recent thread about buying tablesaws which i talked all about my buying experience which might help you if you haven't used axi much.

Good luck.

MattRoberts":1bbavren said:
I believe the only real issue with a right tilt is that you need to put the piece face down when making an angled cut, and the blade can cause burning because the piece is between the blade and the table. With a left tilt, you can keep the face up, and the piece is free above the angled blade.

You can always lift the fence off and put it on the other side of the blade though, depending on your fence set up.
does it also not make a "safety" concern with the offcut trapped below the blade and also pushed again the fence?
I guess not so much with sheet goods, but a solid lump that decides to banana ?
Steve

SteveF":29u44mtb said:
MattRoberts":29u44mtb said:

does it also not make a "safety" concern with the offcut trapped below the blade and also pushed again the fence?
I guess not so much with sheet goods, but a solid lump that decides to banana ?
Steve
Not really, because the riving knife tilts along with the blade - another train to ensure you always have a riving knife installed! :)

When cutting solid timber, the rip fence should finish in line with the back of the sawblade gullets, so if the timber moves as it is cut there is room beyond the fence for it to move without binding. The same thing happens with cutting square really.

Whichever way the blade tilts there are always going to be occasions when it would be better if it could tilt the other way!

Most panel saws tilt towards the fence

im a guy with the Itech 10" i bought it for 3 reasons -

1) its the same as the axminster & Sip, but cheaper

2) the axminster jumped over £100 in cost over night, the Itech comes with the side extension as std, the axminster ones are almost £200 extra

3) i had amazing service from S&S - promptly answered all my questions (there were dozens of emails over several weeks) they arranged delivery for it to arrive the day i needed it on & Mark who was dealing with me followed up everything to make sure the saw had arrived safe & that i was satisfied with the saw.

i also have the Bosch GTS10xc, the fact the blade tilts the other way has not caused me any issue, and you can move the fence to ether side of the blade so i never even considered it to be any issue.

This'll sound sad but I really enjoyed looking through the latest Scott and Sargent catalogue. They do more smaller tools than I realised and I spotted alot of new things I hadn't seen before. Certainly opened my eyes up to the mass of things they sell !!!
Reminded me of the old Axminster days, when you could pick up a physical catalogue instead of having to rely on a website.

Coley

Latest posts

Back