New table, help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirRobSmith

Reaction score
Hello,

I've bought a rather study, rustic looking table. It's fairly rough cut (which I like) but the finish from the supplier doesn't appear to be particularly hard wearing and I've started to notice a few areas that have quickly blemished and look somewhat unattractive.

My knowledge of wood working doesn't extend much beyond watching Matthias Wandel on Youtube, sadly so I have neither the skill nor testicular fortitude to jump in and start applying additional finish to the table without seeking some expert advice and from reading some of the other threads it seems you have some in your ranks.

I'm looking for some advice to generally make it more hard wearing and more resistant to stains. If someone should spill a bit of ketchup on the table I'd rather not be seeing it for the next 10 years!

I took some pictures earlier, I'm afraid I'm not even sure what type of wood it is.

bQJ5NPk.jpg

S4EdYxU.jpg

9RuGTDy.jpg

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Rob

Attachments

• bQJ5NPk.jpg
    bQJ5NPk.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 755
  • S4EdYxU.jpg
    S4EdYxU.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 755
  • 9RuGTDy.jpg
    9RuGTDy.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 755
Putting any fort of 'finish' on that table will completely alter the aesthetics of it and potentially ruin the "rough cut" that you like. It looks like it may just be a wax finish on that, so you can either rewax periodically with something like a clear briwax or you could try a soap finish (https://blog.lostartpress.com/2015/09/11/my-first-time-using-soap-finish-notes-warnings/).

Disclaimer - I have not yet used a soap finish on anything so can comment on its suitability first hand I can only regurgitate what I have read.

Matt

Thanks, Matt!

I've been doing some reading and was starting to come to the conclusion that wax is the way to go. Quite honestly I'm not sure what (if anything) the manufacturer has put on the table as way of a finish / protective layer. The grain of the wood looks visibly open to me.

I've seen some Osmo transparent wax which, looking at the reviews, seems well liked and has been used in this application before. Do you you think I'm looking at the right sort of stuff?

Thanks again for the reply.

Rob

If it were me I would go with a normal wax such as briwax,apply with a stiff paint brush and then buff with a shoe shine brush untill you get the amount of sheen you are looking for

A quick note to pass on my thanks - I've given the table a good couple of coatings of Briwax and the results have been great. The rough sawn nature of the table has made it a challenge but it's looking well so far.

Rob

On a different note to the finishing, those boards that cap the tabletop are generally referred to as "breadboard ends". Long story short, given the rough-and-ready look of the piece I wouldn't be hopeful that they're done properly but you never know, you might be in luck. Just to prepare you in advance if they aren't done properly, you should expect that you'll get some cracks in due course.

If they are done well at certain times of year the ends of the two capping boards will stick out proud and may be a snagging hazard, due to the longways boards shrinking across their width and the end boards having remained the same length. This is perfectly normal, it's just a feature of this design.

Back