New Stanley 62 SW replacement blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The blade from a Veritas LA smoother would be roughly the right width but I don't know about hole spaces and sizes, plus they're roughly £35 so more than the cost of an oe stanley from Germany.
The quangsheng is about £20-21 plus postage so it's not saving an awful lot as again it's not 100% that it would fit.

Just for future reference though, the blades from a Veritas low angle block plane and the Stanley SW low angle block plane are interchangeable :)

No phone call back. If I don't hear anything i'll ring them again after the new year.

I'll keep you all posted. I don't think fannying about trying to make other makes of blade fit is the way forward - spares should be readily available and, given the price level of this plane (I paid £87) the blades should be circa £15-£20.

Cheers

Karl

Well I hadn't heard anything back from the Stanley dealer, so I made another call to Stanley.

They were struggling to track it down on their system, but "think" they found it. So they've done an order (gratis) and are sending a blade out to me just to make sure the right part turns up!

I'll keep you all posted - but hopefully this faffing about should free up replacement blades in the Stanley system.

The plane, btw, is absolutely excellent. My only criticism is this faffing about with replacement blades, and the handle is a little chunky - I see a bit of work with rasps in the future.

Cheers

Karl

I did a touch of reshaping on my Stanley SW No. 4. Just to round the corners a little more. I was also getting marks on the work piece that turned out to come from a sharp edge at the front of the adjustable mouth. A few seconds with Wet/Dry sorted that out. Apart from those pretty minor gripes it's turned out to be a very good Plane. Heavy but good. The backlash on the adjuster doesn't bother me.
Having said that Stanley really should be readily supplying spares for their new Planes - blades and perhaps lever caps being the obvious ones.

Success! ! !

Delivery man arrived this morning:

So the blades are available. I've phone Stanley back to let them know it's here - i'm waiting for the guy to ring me back. I'm hoping to find out what the rrp on these blades should be.

Cheers

Karl

Why would anybody want a spare blade? Surely it'd take half a lifetime of hard work to get through the first one?

Jacob":3011u6qn said:
Why would anybody want a spare blade? Surely it'd take half a lifetime of hard work to get through the first one?
Sometimes it's easier to swap a blunt blade for a sharp one and carry on. The sharpen/ hone later.

It's something i do, it's rare i get time to sharpen on the job with time constraints etc.

Jacob":1jh36oph said:

I can see why some would want a second or third blade - different grind angles for different uses.

Other than that, the blade should last as long as the plane.

MMUK":1uha4slf said:
Jacob":1uha4slf said:

I can see why some would want a second or third blade - different grind angles for different uses.

Other than that, the blade should last as long as the plane.

Precisely.

Jacob's just being a . - he knows why you would want different blades for a BEVEL UP plane.

Cheers

Karl

Sigh. Quality control at Stanley seems to need some work - just like my new blade!

First, what I hadn't noticed when I unpacked it, was the huge ding in the corner - it's clearly been dropped on the floor

Anyway, got to work on cleaning it up and giving it a hone. This was the back after 20seconds on a coarse diamond stone

Then disaster (melodrama, I know).

The blade is too wide for the ******* plane body !!!!!

Sure enough - original blade is 49mm. Mouth opening is 50.25mm. New blade is 50.25mm

So bit of work on the belt sander required in order to reduce the width.

Once fitted though it was great at planing end grain - i'll leave the new blade at 25deg for end grain work/shooting and have honed the higher one around 40deg for smoothing.

Good luck to anybody else who decides to get a spare blade for their plane!

Cheers

Karl

In fairness it took me longer to take the pics, upload them and update this thread than it did to sort the problem out.

The plane is a cracker.

Cheers

Karl

Quite an illuminating view into the way they work.

'How wide is the mouth?'

'50.25mm'

'Ok. So we need to make a replacement iron 50.25mm wide.'

They used to make planes you know ... and they were quite good at it once.

Glad it works well eventually Karl but a pity you had to work so hard for it.

Back