New sliding mitre saw required. Any recomendations?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to replace my now inaccurate Dewalt DW707 with a new model, but am hoping someone maybe able to recommend a decent saw. It needs to be pretty good as I primarily use it for miters. I could go for a guillotine, but that is a little dedicated for my needs.

My budget is around £500

Thanks

th_DSCN1755.jpg

Don't know if ryobi still do the ems 1830sc. I bought mine 5/6 years back. Nice bit of kit and back then was under £400. Has the same cutting capacity as the big dewalt for a lot less money. As said quality in all areas are good to excellent.

Depends on what your criteria are. Do you want to use it to do trenching, for example...not all do it. The DW707 does not, as you know.

Dust extraction...how important is that to you. Some are much better than others.

Size....what's the maximum that you want to cut?

Do you just want to do mitres or do you do compound angles? Some have the scales facing the operator which makes adjustment much easier compared to grovelling around at the back.

Out of curiosity, why do you say your DW is inaccurate? I have one and seems reasonably accurate as far as I can see.

Lastly, size of stock ...how small do you want to cut mitres? For example, when doing beading for windows, it's way too small for my DW707 and so I use a homemade mitre block, Japanese hand saw and then tweak using the Axminster mitre guillotine.,,which is a very very very useful bit of kit.

I have recently bought a Metabo 8" pre recent dust collector upgrade for a mere £180 and I must say it is excellent. The laser is spot on and it cuts true. Like most it would benefit from a decent blade.

I'm happy with the DeWalt 717 XPS that I've had for about 10 months now, done everything from studwork & trim on site to chunky walnut mirror frames and the odd alloy extrusion thrown in. Just within your budget but is a bit heftier than you old 701/707 etc.

J

Makita for me, you'll get a LS1214 (the bigger one of the older models that they do) for under £400 2nd hand. The smaller LS1013 for a fair bit less. Or you could go for a newer model, the LS1018 would be £400 again.

Just my 2 pence.

Cheers _Dan.

A big plus one for the DeWalt 717 XPS, the shadow line is a fantastic inovation.

I got mine just over a year ago for about £440 delivered via an ebay seller based on the Isle of White

Metabo every time. But as RogerS says it depends on what work you are doing. I have the KGS255plus and it is a very accurate small machine.

The KGS303plus is a large machine and exceptionally accurate with a great blade and large cutting capacity. Very well built machines, double bevel too. Three year warranty as well if you register Metabo online.

I had the Makita LS1013 for years before I upgraded. Its a very good machine and has probably been upgraded since I first bought mine back in 1997.

Back