New SIP Cast Iron Sawbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have a digital camera - and a review is not out of the picture - so look out for a "highly recommended" :wink:

Yes Lars,

An illustrated review is required.....
Hope all goes well.

Rgds

Noel

I do have a digital camera - and a review is not out of the picture - so look out for a "highly recommended"

Looking out for it already! I could do with a replacement for my cheapo Clarke 10" that wont break the bank (or my eardrums as is the case ATM!!!).

I'm assuming is has an induction motor that is reasonably quiet :oops: or is this a silly question?

Ta muchly

Gary

I just find it amazing just how little information and promotional material is available from SIP.

I'm interested in this particular saw, a search on Google doesn't find any info on it at all, the SIP web site is a WODS (waste of disc space) IMHO

and the colour leaflet they sent me raised more questions than it answered.

Makes me wonder about their long term commitment to the woodworking market if they can't be bothered to promote (apart from advertising) their own products. - It's not as if the arrival of this product was a surprise !! Not all of us live near a stockist.

Having been in the retail sector for most of my working life, one would and should expect the supplier/manufacturer to give all and any support needed direct to the customer who should then be expected to go to a dealer to view and purchase or purchase via mail order.

It's true about the SIP website being poor at informing - but in general other online (UK) (woodworking) sites are really not volunteering much information about their products either. :(

I wanted a saw with induction motor for the sake of my neighbours and my ears. You try to find info easily about dewalt, bosh, beckum online about the motor in their saw - not possible. I called beckum tech team and they had to call me back with the info (the 200 model is a universal motor BTW)

Generally I think it's marketing geeks and webdesigners that decide what data is revealed - but it should be people with tech insight that know what the customer wants to know.

I just bought the cast iron SIP TS after seeing it live this week-end in windsor at a little show I didn't know took place until I called SIP to get more info about the saw.

When I called SIP I referred to their website and they immidiately acknowledged how poor it is - they loose sale here - when will they improve the site I wonder ?.

Anyway - 10 inch table saw (and bandsaw) should arrive thursday - looking forward.

cheers

I have looked at the SIP website since buying my compressor from them.
I just searched their new product line & there is nothing on any other than the small table saw at DIY shed prices.
They have been known for 30 years selling factory generators & compressors so should know what helps sales by now especially as they sell in 80 countries.
As with many, they have only branched out into woodworking fairly recently owing to climbing sales at the DIY sheds.
Most of us start there then upgrade to better kit once we realise the limitations.
I'm surprised that EB have not upgraded to an induction motor.
Their nearest competitor in the small saw range was Kity who had one on the 419. Unfortunately they are no more. :(

Larry

How are you getting on with the new Sip table saw?

any photo's yet ?!! :)

well, it's up and running, haven't tuned it at all and it's seems rather fine/precise out of the box. I haggled a much better blade into the deal - and the cut is much smoother than with the factory fitted blade - cutting 1" oak is like cutting butter - and with a perfect glueline.

It took around an hour and a half to get it up and running with table extensions et all single handed - worst part was to get it from it's assembly position (upside down) to it's running position - almost slipped a disk.

on the negative side: nothing serious, one table extension edge has a little ridge protruding about 1/2 mm above table surface - probably from a knock during transport - but i'm just gonna file it down although SIP said they are ready to sort it out. A curiosity : when the blade is in top position and I start to lower it - it seems to move slightly to the left while I lower it the first 1 cm or so - I would actually like to know if others experience the same.

13 amp fuse is not enough as it blows on start up - 16 amp is required - but where is that to be purchased ? - so a bit of copper wire is doing just fine at the moment

I have taken photographs and am going to write a review (a bit longer than this) but at the moment evenings are dedicated to totally reorganising my workshop (read garage - SWIMBO needs to get her car back into her half)

So far very pleased with the purchase.

Also bought the 14" SIP bandsaw/dovetail jig - more later on that too

Generally all sturdy/well made/well designed, and positively surprising given the China badge

Cheers
Larry

Lars

Thanks for that, could well be my next major purchase.

Looking forward to the full review, especially as I haven't seen one yet in any of the mags ... you may be the first :D

Lars

13 amp fuse is not enough as it blows on start up - 16 amp is required - but where is that to be purchased ?

No such animal as far as I'm aware Lars (i.e. the normal BS1363 3 pin UK plug top is rated at 13A so the BS1362 fuses that fit only go up to 13A.)

You'll have to go down the road of either getting one of them blue plug/socket arrangements or fit a dedicated (say 20A) switches with a flex outlet. I've done the latter. Got a nice red neon indicator on it to remind me the flex is live.

Regards

Roy

I note that the blade size for the sip ci. tablesaw is 254mm and I am concerned about the arbour size. Is there plenty of choice on the open market for replacing the blade?

Woody
Most blades can be bushed to fit a smaller size arbour so lots of blades are available.

Back