New series of Roy Underhill on PBS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerard Scanlan

Established Member
Reaction score
Spoiler alert

What a disappointment.
What is the point in compiling a series of repeats when you can just watch the repeats online?
What has happened to Roy that he has not had an opportunity to record a new series?
Anyone know?

Gerard Scanlan":2chld6y2 said:
What is the point in compiling a series of repeats when you can just watch the repeats online?
Have they been re-edited, remastered, or the quality (video and/or audio) increased?

BugBear

I'm still holding on in the hope that we will get some proper new episodes later in the month.
From what I can see, the "favorite" episodes are unaltered and could just be a reminder of the series - which is a bit of an odd thing to offer, when all those episodes are available to stream.
And I know from previous years that whoever updates the website has a confusingly poor grasp of what calendar year or sequentially numbered series we are in. Expect different links which lead to the same episode and trailers with no full programme.

But for what we are about to receive, may the lord make us truly thankful!

re: the seeming lack of organization - in the US, the individual PBS stations make their own shows rather than the entire network, so other than potentially drawing national funding to assist, the woodwright shop is made by a single public broadcasting station in North Carolina. These run at the local level and they all run a bit differently.

Here in Pittsburgh, we have a very active local station and so does Boston. Our station doesn't focus on much in terms of hobby, but more on state-wide specials and national specials that are more far-reaching.

At any rate, that probably has a lot to do with why the release, organization and coordination, etc, isn't done as timely or neatly as it would be if it was from a large cable network or one of the networks like NBC or ABC.

In terms of offering new episodes that you can already see for free, the PBS stations often aren't quite as strict from a revenue perspective. They can probably charge other stations to pick up the woodwright shop, but none of those involved is going to get hyper if they lose a penny because someone streams the shows online.

(if it was any of the latter, they'd probably ask Roy to generate fake drama, anyway - at least that's the way it was when I stopped watching TV about 6 years ago).

Latest posts

Back