New scraper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodfarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
I have disliked scrapers since i began turning. The round nose one that came in the set of tools I bought to start me off didn't change anything. far too inclined to dig in or catch. I did have some success using my skew chisel as a negative rake scraper but not as a skew. In fact I use it a fair amount for this. However I decided to get a big heavy duty scraper for the inside of largish bowls, intending to re grind it negative rake. In my enthusiasm to try it out I was astounded. Long ribbons of thin shavings and it just seems to cut well wherever I put it. I guess it came really sharp out of the box, for one thing I have learned is all tools need to be really sharp to cut well.
Up until now my favourite tool has been my big heavy duty 1/2" Crown bowl gouge.. Perhaps I just get on better with heavy duty tools ?

You certainly get less chatter from heavier tools.

I know what you mean about sharp tools, my new fingernail grind jig I recently made means after about 6/7 months of turning I can finally get a decent repeatable grind and can do bowls properly now!

:D

I've an old carbon steel one, 1 1/2" x 3/8th that is a joy to use - it'll tame the widest grain. It cost me £4. I grind it upside down, virtually straight all the way across with just the corners relieved as its prime purpose to flatten platters. The edge doesn't last for long but it doesn't need to as it's only used for very light finishing cuts - and it is extremely sharp, better than a HSS one.

Back