New Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
A bit of a gloat I am afraid :)

A couple of beauties I brought back from my holiday in NYC.

Quote from MikeW:- "The Walnut used came from some stock taken from a storm damaged tree just down the road from our house several years ago. Nice stock. It was a grand old tree some 4 foot across chest high."

Need I say more - almost too good to use?

Rod :lol:
mikewsawsgx1.jpg

What spec did you ask for? or if you bought them in NY maybe you bought them already prepared? I'm on the list for 2 carcass saws from Mike and have not finalized that aspect yet, would like to hear what they are like to use please. Just about to receive a Veritas low angle block from a friend coming back from Canada....

Very nice looking saws Rod. I've got a carcass saw with a black walnut handle on order from Mike. I hope it looks as good as your's.

Bloonose - I ordered them from Mike, but had them sent to my hotel in NYC.

The spec. was Carcass 11" 14ppi, Small 9" 15ppi.

I originally ordered Cocobola handles but Mike no longer offers that as he is becoming allergic to it.
The walnut looks really good and the "feel" of the saws is just great.
My friend (retired Woodwork teacher) is very impressed with them and reckons I should lock them away!

Rod :)

Harbo wrote:
My friend (retired Woodwork teacher) is very impressed with them and reckons I should lock them away!
Hey Rod - I'm one of those as well...I'd also like to be impressed! :lol: You could also let me have another play with that nice little plane in the green bag :lol: - Rob

lock away a tool and dont use it, thats terrible, beautiful tools should be used

ive seen one or two planes, the steel looked like swirly marble, completly hand made, others with brass dovetailed into steel

(yes i know there is a word for the swirly steel, but cant remember what is is)

id just want to use them

Thanks for the info, I'm after 2x 10" in 15ppi one xcut, one rip. He said he's no longer doing the Cocobolo to me too, I seem to get black hands every time I touch Walnut so maybe Tiger Maple or something similar for me. The saws will be used by me at times I need quality cuts, not just lopping off lumps. With regard to the plane's I seem to remember seeing a picture posted a wee while back of a plane with the Damascus pattern on its sides, it was the best looking one I've seen and would be very proud to own one in the future.

Latest posts

Back