new saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys ,I've not been here for a while but I have just managed to buy myself Delta 16" Variable Speed Scroll Saw 40 - 540,it's actually on it's way to me right now. Now I know from past experience that one or two guys swear by them that's the reason I bought it . I there anything I can fit to improve it's performance like quick change blade clamps for instance . your help would be appreciated Mal (Hulkl)

Hi,
Congrats on your purchase -- if it is the mark 2 with the fast change you do not need to make any changes as the top clamp is IMHO the best in the world.
The bottom clamp tool is a bit strange but once you have used it a few times is fine and really quick to change blades

If it is the mark 1 you may find top clamps on USA sites--- the one I used a few years ago has ceased trading

With such a fine saw you have no excuse. - so when you are ready lets see what you have created

John

Hi Mal,
Many happy returns to the forum.
sounds like you are fit enough to get back making saw dust,
just remember do not breath the dam stuff in.................geoff3......

I've got 40-540, but not used it much yet even though I've had it for many years.

I actually adapted mine yesterday with better blower control using a 1/4" Wiha Coolant tube which I picked up from Amazon.com here: http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-34490-MaxiFl ... ha+coolant for less than £11 including shipping. It works great and is much more useful than the supplied blower hose.

Thanks guys ,just received it yesterday if I hadn't known it I would think it was new,would one of you kind gentlemen show me a picture of the a picture of the top release clamp polease the spring came of mine and

I don't think I have it on right ,when I bring the lever forward
it will not tighten on the blade Regards Mal

Thanks for that but it doesn't give an exploded view , I think I may have lost a spring , are the 2 springs on the top blade clamp?Mal (Hull)

Pixy

If its the same design as the 4- 560 its item 129 in the diagram Ed linked to. I had ours to bits the other day and the spring acts on the metal u-shaped clipd to keep it in place

Thanks very much just found the spring on my workshop floor all sorted now thanks for all your help Mal(Hull)

Can Delter boy tell me if your saws make much noise ,I'm not sure whether some thing catching it's just a slight tapping sound Mal(Hull)

really sorry the last message should read ,can any of you delter boys not Delter boy ,that sounds like I was insulting some one ,this was not intended Mal

Ed Bray":njs3pesh said:
I've got 40-540, but not used it much yet even though I've had it for many years.

I actually adapted mine yesterday with better blower control using a 1/4" Wiha Coolant tube which I picked up from Amazon.com here: http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-34490-MaxiFl ... ha+coolant for less than £11 including shipping. It works great and is much more useful than the supplied blower hose.

Hello Ed.
I think adding a few extra inches to that blower so it blows away from you instead of towards you would be benificial.
What do others think ?

Scrollerman":a1jx7dx7 said:
Ed Bray":a1jx7dx7 said:

Hello Ed.
I think adding a few extra inches to that blower so it blows away from you instead of towards you would be benificial.
What do others think ?

Like most things I suppose, a few extra inches would always be welcome. :lol:

Like ed I modified the blower on my delta the old one just got in the way and the metal pipe on the blower kept working loose but I kept the long black pipe so I could have a bit of adjustment on the blower works a treat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 411
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 411
bobman.
Nice adaption, especially that you have the nozzel aimed away from you. =D>

Back