• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

New PDA?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Vormulac

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone bought a PDA recently? I'm thinking of getting a new one sometime soon and wanted to hear any comments anyone had.

It's got to have Bluetooth and WLAN, so it's really down to a handful of Ipaqs or the Dell X50v I think.

Any comments?

V.

A

Anonymous

I work for one of the biggest IT services companies in the UK (3rd in the world I think) and our company swears by iPaq's. FWIW

Vormulac

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree, I have no particular love of Dell to be honest, I was just trying to be objective :)

I think it'll come down to either the Ipaq 4700, 2750 or 2400 - does anyone have any experience of any of these models? Or any other recent ones come to think of it?

Thanks.

V.

A

Anonymous

Just got a Palm Tungsten T3 a couple of months ago. Couldn't live without it now - damned thing runs my entire life.

It runs Palm OS rather than Windows CE (far superior IMO), and comes with Bluetooth but no Wifi - an expension card has just been released, but I find the lack of availability of access points somewhat defeats the purpose.

The T5 is just out, with faster processor/more onboard memory, but half the good bits of the T3 missing, ie no voice recorder, vibrate function or expanding display.

Regards,
Vinnie.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
I got the Palm Tungsten T3 for the missus for her Birthday. Shes seems pretty pleased with it so far - the extending display seems to have overcome much of the criticism directed towards previous versions - which seemed to be the poor/small display.

It seems to pretty compatible with everything on our PC so far.

Adam

PitBull

Established Member
Reaction score
Vormulac,

I recently advised a few people on this: Palm T5 (better, more expensive) or T3.

PalmOS beats Windows CE hands down, syncing to MS Office is painless, and best of all: both these models have a switchable portrait/landscape mode - viewing spreadsheets, reading e-books etc is much better in landscape mode.

I think only the T5 has wifi though (see http://www.palmone.com/us/products/ - wifi was not present at launch, but is available now).

A

Anonymous

PocketPC Ipaq here. Can't fault it.

My third PDA in the last 7 years or-so.

Had a Sony Palm as my second but kept losing data as Palms don't have a backup battery :twisted:

I

Shady

Established Member
Reaction score
A4 Desktop diary: does everthing I need, never loses data, no synch problems, dirt cheap.... Mobile 'phone does all that connectivity stuff...

After years of trying, I've admitted defeat - a diary is the more cost-effective 'thing I always intend to use but never do', whereas PDA's are just the most expensive paperweights I've ever bought...

Vormulac

Established Member
Reaction score
I like the moleskine notebooks too, but when connectivity is limited to yelling really loud and hoping, a more technical solution has to be looked at! :lol:

After taking everyone's advice on board and spending a good long time playing with the various Palms and so-on, I have today been putting my new toy through its paces - I opted for an Ipaq 4700. The screen is the best of all the ones I looked at and the connectivity is second to none.

Thanks to all for your input! :D

Vormulac.