New panel raising plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
New to me in any case. A tad old in reality. :lol:

Won't get to honing the well shaped James Cam blade before the weekend...

panel1.jpg

panel3.jpg

Made by Wallace. The stamp on both the plane and iron are upside down, which I thought was sorta unusual.

Anyone with a copy of BPM?

Take care, Mike

Hi Mike

Didn't I see that recently on eBay?

Nice catch (I did eye it out, if it is the one ... at the last minute I said that I really should make my own).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Nope, not an eBay plane as far as I know. I have looked for one which moved me via the 'Bay. This one said "buy me and buy me now." :lol:

Came from Andrew Stephens at http://www.toolbazaar.co.uk/.

Wonderful man to order from. May even be another one or two of his offerings in my [near] future...

Take care, Mike

PS, last year I sent Jake a decent reprint of an article from FWW [iirc] on making a panel raising plane you could probably get from him.

I will probably ask C&W to make a longer, handled version of this one so the profiles match for longer panels.

waterhead37":gbahigdq said:
MikeW":gbahigdq said:
Made by Wallace. The stamp on both the plane and iron are upside down, which I thought was sorta unusual.

I think Gromit always did them like that..
:lol:

Mike, I think, given where you got it from, it must be Wallace of Dundee (where the cakes come from :wink: ). I'll do the BPMs entry verbatim - the <and> indicate they thought the business was about before/after but there was no evidence available at the time:

WALLACE, Thomas
Peter St <1818>

WALLACE, Alexander & James
Peter St <1824>

WALLACE, Alexander & Co.
Meadow Close, 98 Murraygate 1829-1837

WALLACE, James & Co.
115 Murraygate W <1829>

WALLACE, Alexander sen. (& Son)
95 St Laurence St, Montreal, Canada 1843-1858>

Alexander & James were the sons of Thomas Wallace. Alexander emigrated to Canada around 1840 and set up in Montreal as a planemaker, followed later by his son who traded until 1881, whilst James continued in Dundee. UC
(uncommon - not found often but not rare)

There are three stamps shown with one like yours first of the three, so the assumption was that was the earliest mark.

It's super, you lucky fellow. I'm still trying to persuade Phil he really wants to make one so maybe this'll inspire him. :D

Cheers, Alf

Very cool, Super Alf!

I guess if I keep picking these things up I should get some reference works!

Wide chamfers indicate at or about--or a hold over from--the 18th century. Super comfy in the hand and it did come sharp enough to give some Poplar a try yesterday. The proper run will come this weekend.

As I mentioned to Derek, I have a copy of an article from a FWW on making one. Could always encourage Phil that way <g>...

Take care--and thanks again! Mike

MikeW":1q3reu6k said:
As I mentioned to Derek, I have a copy of an article from a FWW on making one. Could always encourage Phil that way <g>...
Well I was wondering if I had that one as a PDF somewhere, now you mention it... :twisted:

Cheers, Alf

Wonderful find, Mike! Can't believe the condition, given the age. The main block is about as good as it gets IME/IMO--dead quartered, and look at the closeness of the rays! James Cam blade! Hope that plane sets the tone for the whole year--good fortune all the way.

Wiley

Alf":1lfiyh1y said:
MikeW":1lfiyh1y said:
Well I was wondering if I had that one as a PDF somewhere, now you mention it... :twisted:

Cheers, Alf
Robert Bourdeau's article

Need the subscription to access the PDF, but that's the linky for it. Good article Phil... :lol:

Wiley--it is way cool. Fits right in with a certain 200 year old molder I recently received :wink:

Take care, Mike

Well whoever decides to make one, can I be the first to put in an intra-forum member order? I've been thinking about my impending kitchen rebuild, and we've decided on raised panel doors and I don't want to use one of the huge router bits.. I have fine english sterling ready for such a plane if one becomes available .. hint hint .. :lol: :lol:

Nice plane, Mike!
I notice a few worm holes? I now put all new (old) planes with any worm in the freezer for two days wrapped in cling film. This kills any eggs or bugs that are alive inside.
As to making a copy? I do have it on my "To-Do" list, pretty close to the top actually. So stop with the hints already...... :lol: :wink:
Just finishing off a Jack at the moment. Cheating a bit with laminated construction- please don't let Pam hear or she'll bite my head......... :twisted:
Cheers
Philly :D
Who does get about the 'Net a bit...

Philly":19az978j said:
Nice plane, Mike!
Cheating a bit with laminated construction- please don't let Pam hear or she'll bite my head......... :twisted:
Cheers
Thanks, Phil!

Yeah, that thread turned stupid rather quickly. :lol:

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Take care, Mike

ByronBlack":23ftgnsy said:
Well whoever decides to make one, can I be the first to put in an intra-forum member order?
Want a copy of the article and cut out the middle man? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

bah - i've had a couple of tries at plane making and failed miserably, i'm not sure i'm cut out for tool making, maybe as I get older and have more time on my hands I will.. who knows

Although, if you would be so kind to email a copy, it would make interesting reading.. :lol:

Philly":2414isjb said:
Just finishing off a Jack at the moment. Cheating a bit with laminated construction- please don't let Pam hear or she'll bite my head......... :twisted:
Cheers

Bite your head? Come on, guys, there was nothing agressive on my part in that thread.

And, Mike, in what way was it ridiculous? Great buy, love Andrew's stuff.

Pam, who also gets about a bit now and then

Hi Pam--welcome to the forum! This was my first purchase from Andrew. Great comminication and accomodation when I asked for other photographs. Prompt [and fairly priced] shipping and good packaging.

I think the apparent minimalization, or characterization, of laminated planes being suitable for so-called students and or one-offs illicited a poloraization of responses...but did little for advancing arguments as to real [or perceived] benefits of either types of construction [solid or laminated].

I have planes from eons back [OK, not that long but very old nonetheless] that had new soles which were attached way in the past and are still well adhered. Perhaps done to make the mouths smaller or simply to repair wear in general. As well, I have owned and abused more than a few of Steve's planes before, without problems associated with delamination or excessive movement--certainly no more than vintage planes I own.

I also own more than a few solid-body planes which exhibit various issues with movement. Some more than others and kept in the same environment. Though on the surface they look like the one right next to it in all the details which I would assume are significant [contstruction, about the same number/closeness of annual rings, sawn relationship to grain, etc.].

Perhaps my expectations of how the thread could have went were too different. But rather than people merely making unfounded characterizations about laminated planes--whether those characterizations be anectdotal and positive or negative--a bit of dialogue as to why one or the other is better would have been more beneficial to me. Phew. Talk about run-on sentances...

So I think what it really boiled down to was tradition, whether new or old school.

Take care, Mike

Hi Pam
And welcome! I certainly have a knack for de-lurking people..... :lol:
My Jack has a couple of construction twists - I'll post some pics on the weekend and then we can have the "Laminated/chopped" discussion. :D
Good to have you aboard,

Latest posts

Back