New panel raising plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike and Alf

Thanks for the offer of the FWW article. I have it too, and it is a good one ... which is why I have long felt so guilty at buying a plane like this. I tend to feel that if I can make it I should. Of course, that does not mean that I can make it well enough, and that is from whence my ambivalence stems ... so it stays high on the priority list but never reaches the top!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Welcome to the forum, Pam. Sounds like I've missed something?

Been reading this FWW article and he laminated up a load of 1/2" maple just to make the central section, which seemed a bit excessive. Also it's at a 35° bedding angle which I'm not entirely sure about. :-k

Philly":3t56swt3 said:
My Jack has a couple of construction twists
Bad luck, Phil - was the MC too high...? :wink:

Cheers Alf

Just mucking with competition entrants' heads by posting at an unusual hour...

ByronBlack":33ukxu6k said:
Well whoever decides to make one, can I be the first to put in an intra-forum member order? I've been thinking about my impending kitchen rebuild, and we've decided on raised panel doors and I don't want to use one of the huge router bits.. I have fine english sterling ready for such a plane if one becomes available .. hint hint .. :lol: :lol:

Well, it took longer, but I panelled my porch doors using a simple 1 1/2" skew rebate (2 actually), and some clamped guides.

Most of the waste was machined (BIG planer) off by the joiner (who made the thing, I only designed it), but he didn't have the knives (for his spindle moulder) to do the panels I wanted, so I did it by hand... :D

Cheaper, and quicker, than ordering custom spindle knives. 1 up for hand tools, I feel.

http://nika.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswi ... =1#message

porch.JPG

(he did the narrow side panels, I did the door panels)

BugBear

Me too. Take care of the small details (like preferred style of raised panel), and the whole thing quickly looks really professional.

Adam

Adam":5lcratp2 said:
Me too. Take care of the small details (like preferred style of raised panel), and the whole thing quickly looks really professional.

Adam

The hardest part was overall proportion.

The original porch was open - just the brickwork and a canopy.

The previous owner "closed it in", presumably for draught-proofing.

But the canopy was quite high, and he used BIG (high and wide) picture windows, and double doors.

old_porch.JPG

I wanted multiple narrow windows, all a similar size, so I had to RIG the door size (single door) to get this. Hence the baby panels to each side of the door.

To get nice proportions in the glazing, they're not full height, so I had to "hide" 18" in the roof. This was done by a combination of bringing the lead flashing down far further than is needed for weather proofing, a carefully place cutter, and then a 8" moulding.

Since the viewer "expects" all these elements to be present, you sort of don't see them - the Douglas Adams SEP trick.

Everything else is quite conventional and was designed/done by the joiner.

Virtually all the timbers (and glazing beads) have a 1/2" ovolo moulding.

BugBear

JesseM":1yn89mzl said:
Very impressive BB =D>

Just a question. Being exposed to the elements what are planning on using to protect it?

Regular linseed oil - the colour will darken over time.

Oak is naturally fairly rot and weather resistant, which was one of the reasons I used it.

BugBear

Hah, I do have it (the article). Hmm, maybe I should have a go myself? Not sure about a pair though... 8-[

Tempted, Alf
Occasionally I go from idle wondering to completed project in less than 3 years. Not often, and rarely about anything actually useful or essential, but sometimes.

129fs4037722.jpg

Details on the blog.

Cheers, Alf

That's a cracker, Alf. And from the pictures on the Blog, it seems to work very well =D> =D> Wonder what style doors will be on the saw till :-k :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Fantastic, Alf - I'm :mrgreen: with envy. All this plane-making is quite inspirational - must have a go myself...

So are you making the other one tomorrow? :p

Cheers,
Neil

Alexander & James were the sons of Thomas Wallace. Alexander emigrated to Canada around 1840 and set up in Montreal as a planemaker, followed later by his son who traded until 1881, whilst James continued in Dundee. It appears Mrs Wallace took over her husband's business (after his death) in Montreal between 1858 and 1862. The company remained at the same address from 1845 to 1885. The Alexander Wallace who appears to have been stamping planes in Canada after 1845 may be the same Alexander Wallace listed by W. L. Goodman as a planemaker from Dundee, Scotland, active between 1824 and 1834. Sixty years is a long time for Alex to have been making planes on his own. There may have been some sons or brothers, or trusted employees involved here who continued the business after the founder's death.

Back