New Ornament...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brucio

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just finished a new "ornament".
It's a little trinket box that looks like an old medieval casket.
wp2d87aabe_1b.jpg

But of course, this is no ordinary little box.
wp636e1f2e_1b.jpg

It is another puzzle box....
All the lion's heads (8 of them) have to be moved to open the lid.
If you like this sort of thing, have a look....
Bruce

That's really cool, Bruce 8) .

Where did you get the lions' heads and how is your project finished? It seems to have a rather attractive dappling but it's a bit difficult to tell from the photographs.

Gill

Thanks Gill,
The lid, base and fretwork was painted with "Iron Gate Black" paint. When painted on wood, it dries to somewhere between matt and gloss. The rest of the wood was treated to some teak oil that seemed to make the wood look better than just plain wood.
The lion head came from a picture of a fountain somewhere in Rome. There's water flowing from the mouth, so I had to remove that...
This is not a tiny box-because the front lock is quite intricate, the smallest size I could make the box is 6" x 4".
Even without the puzzle aspect, it looks quite nice...
Well, I think so anyway.
Bruce

Looks good Brucio - Any chance you could post some slightly bigger pictures so we can see some more of the details.

Let's see if I can get some bigger pictures on...

Medieval%20Casket%20shut.jpg

Medieval%20Casket%20open.jpg

Although these pictures are on my server, they're not actually part of the website, so I don't know if they will appear...
Bruce

Hi Bruce

Many thanks for your endeavours posting the pictures. I've amended your links so that the pictures show, and I've deleted the posts where the urls didn't work.

The code which worked was:
Code:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bruce.viney/Medieval%20Casket%20shut.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bruce.viney/Medieval%20Casket%20open.jpg

The larger pictures are great :) !

Thanks Gill.
That's great. now I know how to put bigger pictures on (include the %20)...
The original pictures are five times bigger than these; about five or six meg in size!
I thought that would be too big for this forum, so I cut them down to about the same size as your "Stalemate" pictures.
I really have to do a bit more reading, and less thinking...
Bruce

Superb Bruce - would that I had your talent I might then at least be able to make something simple.

Jack

Back