Carbide or traditional chisels for new turner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckmeabone

Reaction score
So I’ve cleaned up my old sm 1100 lathe that was given to me, all the parts glide nicely and the tool rest I’ve made smooth,

I’ve got the chuck in my basket a record power sc4 ( I think that’s what it’s called)

when I actually get round to turning I’m hoping to just make little things like needle boxes, tree ornaments, possibly the odd bowl, when I get more experience I want to make threaded boxes

But now I can’t decide on wether I should get a traditional turning chisel set, or a carbide set.
What are the pros and cons for these, and run a quick search on the forum but failed to see any similar threads for this

Thanks for any advice.

I think if you are going to turn dirt, you'll find the carbide and 10V type tools useful.

I only usually turn the odd thing and a bunch of tool parts, but I would be surprised if carbide tools as a general do all aren't a time penalty vs. a well sharpened gouge or skew in the hands of an experienced user.

Tried a couple of carbide insert tools about a decade ago and abandoned them fairly quickly in favor of sharpening more often and faster with traditional tools.

Latest posts

Back