New micro adjustable jig ..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Guys :oops:

John, I could not thickness 5mm stock to the accuracy easily (if at all) - and I do have some LNs after all :wink:

It's a drop in lid for this one.

I want to make one with mitred corners next and the lid will be held on by a wooden hinge along the rear edge made with the finger joint jig. I think it'll look nice.

Need to get the workshop air cleaner and CNC router fence sorted before that though :oops:

I'm getting deja vu here... Didn't I just see this box in the other thread...? :? Ah well, it's still a nice job. :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1hpm0ubi said:
I'm getting deja vu here... Didn't I just see this box in the other thread...? :? Ah well, it's still a nice job. :D

Cheers, Alf

How embarrassing to be caught :oops: I posted it on the jig link as I wanted to show how the jig performed and then added it to box comp jig as my 'entry'. Second post got a few questions coming in which lead to this picture.

I wasn't fishing for complements twice honest :wink:

TONY (said i do have some L/NS after all ) will this mean you wont be entering the box comp :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: he he he

frank":yiuv3h4p said:
TONY (said i do have some L/NS after all ) will this mean you wont be entering the box comp :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: he he he
You'd better hope not, Frank. He's one of the judges! :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Don't worry Frank, I'm not entering as I won the jig competition and so didn't think it fair to enter this one too. Which reminds me, still no sign of the prize :?

Also I have a LN 4.5 and so what would I do with a LV #4?

Tony,

I'm keen to make my first box and want to use my router table to do the finger joints. Cuold you explain how you cut the two finger slots in the jig itself ?

paul

Paul, let's say you're using a 3/8" diameter cutter...

Make a first cut. Then, the second cut wants to be precisely 3/8" away from the first cut so, you unscrew/remove the fence and then fix it in the new position. Make a second cut.

A spacer is fitted in the slot nearest the fence. You'll also need a second spacer to temporarily fill the gap between the two slots as you make the first pass on of the mating pieces. The other half will but straight up against the first spacer, fixed in place, with all cuts after that on this piece to sit over the fixed spacer.

Hopefully, this makes it a bit clearer?

OPJ":2vao78q5 said:
Paul, let's say you're using a 3/8" diameter cutter...

Make a first cut. Then, the second cut wants to be precisely 3/8" away from the first cut so, you unscrew/remove the fence and then fix it in the new position. Make a second cut.

A spacer is fitted in the slot nearest the fence. You'll also need a second spacer to temporarily fill the gap between the two slots as you make the first pass on of the mating pieces. The other half will but straight up against the first spacer, fixed in place, with all cuts after that on this piece to sit over the fixed spacer.

Hopefully, this makes it a bit clearer?

i think so, I will get in the workshop and see if it makes sense there ! :D

Great jig Tony,

I always seem to need to make a jig each time I want to make box joints so this adjustable one looks like a great idea, I'll have to make one so thanks for the inspiration.

Nice box too.

regards

brian

worth noting that the jig was originally posted in 2004, so who knows if tony is still on the forum ?

Tony,

Very nice box, but the micro adjust is the best bit! Must save a lot of trial and error.

Have you been watching the Cosman Wood Hinge Box by any chance?

I thought his shop made router table and jigs were outstanding.

David

Mighty_Genghis":1tgvfmx1 said:
worth noting that the jig was originally posted in 2004, so who knows if tony is still on the forum ?

Oh yes I am still here!! :shock:

Thanks for the recent compliments guys, nice to know that my idea has helped others :)

David C":2kxlbpm2 said:
Tony,

Very nice box, but the micro adjust is the best bit! Must save a lot of trial and error.

Have you been watching the Cosman Wood Hinge Box by any chance?

I thought his shop made router table and jigs were outstanding.

David

Absolutely David. I bought a round nosed bit a while back to try one out after being gobsmacked by his DVD, but not had a go yet due to time (Easter break is coming :wink: )

Have you made one yet?

Back