UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archimedes

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am new to this board and fairly new to woodworking. Late last year I completed a course in chair-making and managed to successfully make a ladder-back shaker chair. I have since been bitten by the bug and am currently starting a small box in walnut (the design of which is taken from "The Woodworker's Technique Bible" by Paul Forrester. I have been an avid reader of both Fine Woodworking and Furniture and Cabinet Making since deciding to take up woodworking and am assembling my basic toolkit as I need each tool for my little box.

I am looking forward to learning what I can from the members on this board and hope one day to make my own contributions to help others.

Kind regards to all!

Welcome to the forum Archimedes. You've made a good choice - it's a great forum, lots of helpful advice. It's been invaluable to me. Hope you've got plenty of money for the tools, because once you hit the slope......

Hello All

On the subject of tools: I am pretty disciplined when it comes to suffering from buying kit for the sake of it. I have a (very) small selection of tools and have a rule that I only buy a tool only if I absolutely need it for a job.

This is my kit (and when I say this is my kit...I mean everything I possess for woodworking)

1. No4 Smoothing plane
2. Shoulder plane
3. Low Angle Block plane
4. Set of bevel edge chisels (6 mm - 20 mm)
5. Card Scraper
6. Wheel Marking Gauge
7. Marking Knife
8. Spokeshave
9. Dovetail Marker
10. Dovetail Saw
11. Square
12. Coping saw

My workbench is a workmate with a woodworking vice bolted on right now (I kid you not...)

Kind regards to all.

If you're moderately serious about this game, I contemplate making a decent bench from softwood with a thick mdf top...plenty of info hereabouts. Welcome btw - Rob

to echo others. welcome. it will be nice to have a man of principle on here.
i dont ever knock the workmate i`ve made some pretty good stuff on them over the years.
best wishes for the future
rob

Welcome Archimedies....with that nickname...I expect to see some wonderful threads from you! (coat!)

I think that you will find that the lads and lasses on this forum are amongst the most knowlegeable and friendly on the Interwoodieweb.

By your list of existing tools I think you might benefit from stopping over at the "Hand Tools" forum on occasion...

Don't worry...we'll get you opening your wallet for all sorts of wonderful woodie whittling machines...once you settle in of course! :wink:

Seriously...a warm welcome!

Jimi

Rob - point taken on the bench

Rob - point taken on the workmate..

Dan - Hello! :D

Jimi - I'm glad the joke wasn't lost on anyone :D ...I know I will need more tools but a guy's got to start somewhere...

Right now I have all I need to complete my little walnut box save a small router. So, I have ordered the router attachment and bits from Axminster for my Dremel (There'y go the rot has started already...).

Cheers
Archimedes

Hi, Archie

Welcome.

I started out with a workmate struggled for years with it until I got my bench.

Where abouts are you?

Pete

Welcome Archimedes, with a username like that I thought you might have a round hole making tool amongst that collection.

Hi Pete - I am in Gloucestershire. How about you?

Devonwoody - very funny! :D Clearly a bit and brace is in order...

Cheers

Archimedes":1rx5vqsv said:
Hi Pete - I am in Gloucestershire. How about you?

Devonwoody - very funny! :D Clearly a bit and brace is in order...

Cheers

DW often has a EUREKA moment!

:mrgreen:

Oh boy...you are gonna regret that nickname! :mrgreen:

I should be interested to know why the choice of name...it's always fascinating why people choose theirs.

Jim

Welcome Archimedes to our loverly band of looneys. You cannot go wrong with this lot. I have learned much from the many experts here and know that you will as well. As mentioned before , slip on over to the hand tool area to observe true obsessive compulsive behaviour... Just mention sharpening or the jigs for same and stand back to watch the fun. Seriously though , you won't find a more generous group on the internet than right here...have seen many go above and beyond to help on widely varied questions from the obscure to the obvious.

Hello there Jim!

Archimedes? I think it is because he spent the greater part of his life devising solutions for his home town (Syracuse), he had limited materials to work with but was very inventive.

I guess that's why. No more or less than that. I see some (very humble) parallels in my own situation.

Mike - that is great to hear! It is already apparent that you (we?) are a friendly bunch. It is a nice contrast to the 'Marquis of Queensbury Rules' that apply on some forums!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes guys. I really appreciate it! :D

A.

Back