UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margin

Reaction score
Good evening all.
I am a new member to this forum. I am a struggling self taught scroll sawer who seems to go through more blades than i should(operator error) as i get frustrated with myself it is packed away but would love to get back into it again. i have produced some nice work in the past but confess to only using ply wood so far from the local hardware shop. Any advice would be gratefully received as i really do enjoy the hobby.

Regards Margin

Hi Margin
welcome to the site its a little slow at the moment,
people must be really busy cutting wood :(
nowt wrong with using ply wood I do most of the time. Have fun keep cutting buy good blades and make sawdust......geoff3

Hi. Welcome!

My recently acquired scrollsaw has not been used yet so I'm not going to be much help I'm afraid.

I've no idea if it's commonly used amongst scrollsawers but you might want to experiment with lite-ply from a hobby materials supplier.

I am a struggling self taught scroll sawer

hi margin
I think we all are as its not as widely used over here as in America, i try not to use ply if possible, i have cut several big pictures out only to find the hollows in the ply fall out and ruin the piece.
I mainly use oak to cut my stuff but occasionally i use spalted beech, maple and only when necessary pine, MDF can be good too.
It all depends on what you want to cut out, i mainly do names and oddments that people ask for, something like this.
iansaw-1.jpg

Many thanks for the advice. i will try some of the ideas and try and slow down a bit. Love the dragon. The last piece i made was an A4 size portrait of birds and flowers. After 8 solid hours i was dragged off to tea, when i returned my little dog had chewed the corner off to join in. After several bless my souls there must be a lesson to be learnt somewhere.

Regards Margin

geoff3":1ai1oud3 said:
Hi Margin
nowt wrong with using ply wood I do most of the time. Have fun keep cutting buy good blades and make sawdust......geoff3

Thanks for the reply i will persevere. Any advice on where i can get good blades as have just ordered what i could find in the past. I usually use spiral blades, maybe cos i am lazy or just not very good.

Regards Margin

margin":e50xy51w said:
geoff3":e50xy51w said:
Hi Margin

Thanks for the reply i will persevere. Any advice on where i can get good blades as have just ordered what i could find in the past. I usually use spiral blades, maybe cos i am lazy or just not very good.

Regards Margin

like i said on your thead in the general section , flying dutchman blades are hard to beat http://www.mikesworkshop.com/index.htm they are from the states but service is quick and the product good

see also https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/purc ... 39335.html

Hi Steeve and All,
Nothing wrong with ply!!!!!!!!!!!!! just don't use the cheapo stuff from y local DIY :oops: :oops: , use good quality birch ply you can order it from a good timber merchant , it may cost more but it's worth it,
As for the best blades , mikes workshop is seen to be the best place to be , i have also used Saw Bird brand (verry good ) :D used to be avalable at Turners Retreat near Doncaster .

scroller frank":1vn3kw3a said:
Hi Steeve and All,
Nothing wrong with ply!!!!!!!!!!!!! just don't use the cheapo stuff from y local DIY :oops: :oops: , use good quality birch ply you can order it from a good timber merchant , it may cost more but it's worth it,
As for the best blades , mikes workshop is seen to be the best place to be , i have also used Saw Bird brand (verry good ) :D used to be avalable at Turners Retreat near Doncaster .

Cheers for the advice. Nice to get feedback and i do appreciate it.

Regards Margin

Hi again margin,
First bit of advice try feeding that pup with proper dog food,
not much nourishment in wood.

Give a indication where in the country are you, If your in my area I could
point you at a good place to get BB ply.....geoff3

geoff3":1bk0we1v said:
Hi again margin,
First bit of advice try feeding that pup with proper dog food,
not much nourishment in wood.

Give a indication where in the country are you, If your in my area I could
point you at a good place to get BB ply.....geoff3

Living in south lincolnshire on the linc,cambridge and norfolk border.

Regards Margin

Back