New member, workshop project and a couple of past projects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not quite sure how I have managed to keep my half......maybe its my smelly shoes!

This forum has cost me cash already!! Bought a Triton Router from B&Q today. Looks a bit of a different beast to the £15 B&Q power Router that I have always used before. Once the workshop is up and running I guess I will be building a table for it.

Cheers Andy

Loads more work done on the plans for the workshop, ready to start clearing the space behind the existing garage now. Also need to price up fully. Initial estimate is around £1500.

Anyone know any good suppliers of 4x2 in the dorset hants area?

Cheers Andy

2346446096_c30dd68b06_o.jpg

2345617205_78b2a5af74_o.jpg

2345617161_0b3c2e0e27_o.jpg

What ho Andy, welcome to the forum.

I am sure you will find this a very friendly and helpful place.

Not so sure about your taste in garments though, one or two of those shirts look like they have been fashioned from deck chair material :). I must introduce you to my tailor. I like the furry pillows very fluffy, I bet they are comfy after a hard days work.

Regards, Tony

Spent the weekend dismantiling this mess

2366777307_6201399ac2_o.jpg

and hacking back the hedges to to be left with this area for my workshop extention. A bit of digging to be done now!

2366776671_219119b664_o.jpg

2367611988_b25566cced_o.jpg

2367612152_91ca930879_o.jpg

andy brookes":2ic5kh1f said:

Try dobuild , basically they seem to "broker" building materials. I've had lots of x2 off them recently. It always comes from my local timber merchants, but at a big discount to counter customers.

BTW I have an Asbestos building to get rid of. Our stupid council won't let me take it in our car because we have a pickup :evil: You can only ever make one trip in a lifetime too, which has to be by appointment and you can't miss your 5 minute "appointment slot".

Been quoted >2k to remove mine (it is a fair bit bigger at 17.5m x 5m) Might hire a jcb and dig a big hole in my back garden (i)

Si

exigetastic":1bewqamu said:
andy brookes":1bewqamu said:

Try dobuild , basically they seem to "broker" building materials. I've had lots of x2 off them recently. It always comes from my local timber merchants, but at a big discount to counter customers.

BTW I have an Asbestos building to get rid of. Our stupid council won't let me take it in our car because we have a pickup :evil: You can only ever make one trip in a lifetime too, which has to be by appointment and you can't miss your 5 minute "appointment slot".

Been quoted >2k to remove mine (it is a fair bit bigger at 17.5m x 5m) Might hire a jcb and dig a big hole in my back garden (i)

Si

Thanks for the tip on dobuild, their prices are very good.

Sounds like I am lucky in Dorset, best get on with it before they change the rules!

Cheers Andy

Your joking, you mean you get a space just for you? :lol: :wink:

I am with you on that one your Lordship. My wife has my half of the wardrobe and half of my sons not to mention one in the spare bedroom! :shock: As for shoes don't even go there! I am sure I married Emelda Marcos! :shock:

exigetastic":2trr98bk said:
andy brookes":2trr98bk said:

Si

you could try hiring an 'asbestos skip' - if you can 'flat pack' the whole building to go in it, a friend did this last summer as the local tip said no more than 2 sheet per week and he had 2 garage roofs to get rid of

http://www.skiphireuk.co.uk/default.asp/p=11
http://www.selectaskip.co.uk/asbestos/
http://www.valueskiphire.co.uk/asbestos/

cheers,

jim

My thanks for information also. (Ive got a double garage with Abo roof)
Also my council work the 2 bag rule and log you in their abo book.

I think they are working a scam of some sort, because garages and other things cannot be put into a sack anyway because of quantity.

Haven't posted much, but have been reading lots and picking up lots of great tips.

I have been making some progress on the workshop. Have dug out and shuttered the area at the rear of the garage for the slab. Also dug one of the holes for one of the posts to sit on, just 2 more to go!

Also finished all the plans and drawings. So now know what timber I need. Was speaking to a neighbour last weekend and asked him where he got his timber for his newly finished garage. He recommended http://www.christchurchtimber.co.uk/ and the quote they came back with is the cheapest, including the dobuild quote I got. Also checked out the quality of the sawn timber he has had from them and its better than a lot of PAR I have seen from other places! So could be useful for others in the area.

Will post some photos of the preps if the weather is any good this weekend.

Cheers Andy

So pics of the progress......

A load or shuttering and a load of old broken up paving slabs I had hanging around the garden. Just need to get some fines to fill the gaps and its ready for a DPM and some concrete. Found its cheaper to buy it premixed than to mix my own.

2461552661_d4d9137bd2_o.jpg

2462385808_e64ea00423_o.jpg

One of the holes for a concrete pad for the posts for the covered areas.

2462385510_37bb00723c_o.jpg

Will be ordering timber for the frame this week and concrete will be in a couple of weekends time. So should be some more interesting updates soon.

A little more progress....

Sand down and ready for....

2487491150_3bfc3c2e20_o.jpg

2486675547_91bcf8cf96_o.jpg

The DPC.....

2486675695_be60b02e2d_o.jpg

Concrete is coming saturday and a grands worth of timber, I'm going to be a busy boy![/img]

Busy weekend just gone. Concrete turned up 40 mins early on saturday morning.... I was still in bed eating toast! Lots of rushing about to remove the tarps that I had down to protect all the preps from the rain that never came, and I was ready for the 1.4m3 of concrete to be dumped. I had asked a mate to come round to tamp the slab, but as the concrete was early my wife mucked in and helped. Both of us nearly ended face first is the concrete due to the hedges been quite close to the edge of the slab! This pic is from sunday morning after a gentle brushing to remove the tarp marks....looking good.

2502223881_f857dc5dca_o.jpg

2502221153_b9a037f2d5_o.jpg

10.30 saw the delivery of 39 sheets of OSB (hiding under the camo tarp, a load of 2x4 and various other timber including three huge 6x6 posts for the carport section of the workshop.

2503050470_621916c240_o.jpg

2502222005_7229723c36_o.jpg

2502221459_95f2220fac_o.jpg

Then built myself a saw bench from a couple of the 4.2m 4x2's and starting cutting all the lengths using make shift jigs to cut to length when I had a number of the same length to cut.

2502222451_0963a9b2c9_o.jpg

2503051866_6140cf9b3d_o.jpg

Will be working in the eves to cut more timber to length, then next weekend will be sheet cutting and building trusses and walls. Hopefully weekend after will be erection time.......

Loads of progress over the weekend in my make shift workshop!!

2531601013_9dc207f73d_o.jpg

First truss, just a little diddy one for the very rear of the workshop

2531601859_0809790ebb_o.jpg

Another truss for the transition between small and large roof span

2532415514_84a155a376_o.jpg

Lots of trusses, 7 in all.

2532415890_c5e2c993eb_o.jpg

Well impressed with the air nailer I got from Aldi for under £20. All the OSB is nailed on using it.

Lots of prepared beams ready for assembly this weekend hopefully!

2531601687_03b91cf8bd_o.jpg

Another view of a truss, this one is for the front of the garage. Also note my cutting table that I made. don't know why I have not done without one before. Its a pair of stanley plastic tressels with a cross beam on each, them 4 longitudinal beams. I set my saw to just more than thickness of the sheet I'm cutting and rip away without having to balance the sheet half of the table.

2532416718_6bc9cd747d_o.jpg

As long as the weather is kind this weekend, It should be off with the old roof of the garage and then assembly time.[/img]

That it looking good,

Did you glue the osb to the timber and then nailed?? or just nailed??

And i see you still haven't returned the compactor :lol:

glued as well as nailed. Bit over the top really I guess!

Yep still have the compactor...must return it this weekend.

Latest posts

Back